Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seven years later and nothing has been learned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a honest question, mainly for the pilots in this forum

Do you need to (or would you) advise ATC that you lost RVSM capability?

You don't have autopilot, and your focus should be more in pitch, thrust and VS than absolute altitude. So a deviation of at least a few hundred of feet would not be strange.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post

You don't have autopilot, and your focus should be more in pitch, thrust and VS than absolute altitude. So a deviation of at least a few hundred of feet would not be strange.
      Not so long after AF447 dissappeared, another AF flight on the same airway lost airspeeds and declared PAN because couldn't maintain altitude. Look it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
        Not so long after AF447 dissappeared, another AF flight on the same airway lost airspeeds and declared PAN because couldn't maintain altitude. Look it up.
        Not being able to maintain altitude is different to being able to maintain altitude but not with the required precision.

And why couldn't they maintain the altitude anyway? It is not like the presence or absence of reliable airspeed indicator affects the airplane performance.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Always wondered about details like this. Lots of flights take that exact path. But no two flights probably face the exact conditions. But if they were to, it would be sometime near the time of the crash.

Comment

All words matter 3WE.

Anyway, I'm relieved to hear that this wasn't simply another case of flawed improvisation.
            Okay...so as someone asked a while back, how long do you give it?

I also read somewhere that scientific engineers determined that it's a really good idea to find VMC and daylight without undue delay.
            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
              I also read somewhere that scientific engineers determined that it's a really good idea to find VMC and daylight without undue delay.
              RIght, because otherwise they would have to invent "instruments" that allow pilots to fly safely in IMC. But of course, being able to see the horizon should absolutely help in determining airspeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post

As in any emergency, ATC is priority number last, but yes, eventually we'd notify them. By eventually I mean no earlier than after four minutes post-emergency.

Comment

Working...
                X