Singapore Airlines Boeing 777-300ER Engine Fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singapore Airlines Boeing 777-300ER Engine Fire

Not your typical engine failure: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...e/2907544.html

check out those pics, wow.

not yet on avherald. Nobody injured.

Originally posted by hongmng View Post
    Not your typical engine failure: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...e/2907544.html

check out those pics, wow.

not yet on avherald. Nobody injured.
    I am telling you, had I been a pax in that flight I would have been arrested for not following the instructions of the crew. 5 seconds after the flight attendant said "keep calm and remain seated" I am opening a door or emergency exit. I can't believe that the right engine and wing was on fire like that for a few minutes and an emergency evacuation on the left side was not initiated. I wonder if the captain was aware of the severity of the situation.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

I can't believe how calm the passengers all sound in the video, while videoing the engine and entire length of the wing on fire right outside the window of their seat...

Comment

Ms Lee said she and the other passengers were frightened. “I stood up, ready to run. But the announcement said to stay calm and to stay in your seats. Passengers were frightened, (but there was) no shouting and everyone was seated.”
        Passengers on board SQ368 were frightened but calm, according to passenger Lee Bee Yee.
        It was an agonising five-minute wait for the firefighters to arrive, she said. After they arrived, firefighters sprayed foam and water on the plane and the fire was put out in about five to 10 minutes, she said.
        I don't believe those times. Fire services on standby don't take 5 minutes to get to the incident.
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
          I am telling you, had I been a pax in that flight I would have been arrested for not following the instructions of the crew. 5 seconds after the flight attendant said "keep calm and remain seated" I am opening a door or emergency exit. I can't believe that the right engine and wing was on fire like that for a few minutes and an emergency evacuation on the left side was not initiated. I wonder if the captain was aware of the severity of the situation.

What is actually burning here? A bit more than an oil leak. It must have propagated very rapidly to get this far between turning off the runway and when the fire brigade reached them.

Unless the fire brigade was nodding off...

Comment

I'm not sure the delay was 5 minutes, even if you round to the nearest 5 minutes.

If you watch this video:
            ...you can see there are emergency vehicles approaching the aircraft before it even stops moving.
            Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

I get the feeling everything so far reported is wrong. This looks like a fuel leak issue and possibly something uncontained from the engine.
              I also wonder if the pilots knew the extent of the situation and if that wonderful Asian custom of not speaking up to authority had something to do with that.

Comment

On balance I think the captain made the right decision not to evacuate. He would have known that the fire brigade were very close and would likely be able to control the fire quickly. He would not want to have evacuating passengers wandering around uncontrolled with all those vehicles speeding in. Remember the SFO Asiana crash where a girl survived being thrown from the plane only to be subsequently run over by a firetruck.

The fire here was close to, and running along the length of the fuselage towards the rear. A slide evacuation would have put the first evacuees in serious risk of burning and open up the fuselage to smoke and fire ingress.

Obviously a difficult call to make but I think he did well and made the correct decision.

Comment

That appears to be a fuel fire in the wing but external to the fuel tank. It would be interesting to find out if they dumped fuel during the return to the airport.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                    On balance I think the captain made the right decision not to evacuate. He would have known that the fire brigade were very close and would likely be able to control the fire quickly. He would not want to have evacuating passengers wandering around uncontrolled with all those vehicles speeding in. Remember the SFO Asiana crash where a girl survived being thrown from the plane only to be subsequently run over by a firetruck.

The fire here was close to, and running along the length of the fuselage towards the rear. A slide evacuation would have put the first evacuees in serious risk of burning and open up the fuselage to smoke and fire ingress.

Obviously a difficult call to make but I think he did well and made the correct decision.
                    Sorry I don't agree. yes, hindsight is always 20/20, so it's easy NOW to say he did ok.

But the risk of that is immense. A fire like that can get seriously out of control very quickly, with things (like fuel tanks in the wings) starting to explode, and with smoke, hot particulate and gases, toxic fumes, and fire itself flooding the cabin. If you wait for those signs to start the evacuations, it may be already too late for at least a bunch of people. Hot gases, smoke and toxic fumes can impair and disable you almost instantly and can kill you one minutes.

An emergency evacuation ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE FIRE ends with a couple of bones broken.

Fire? Evacuation. Period. If not commanded, it will be proactive. I will deal with the judge later.

THIS PLANE WAS BURNING LIKE HELL FOR AT LEAST 3 FULL MINUTES (there is a 3 minutes video out there where the plane is already on fire in the beginning and still on fire in the end).

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

....and how easy would it be for the OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE FIRE to become THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FIRE.

The simple answer is that we don't know. The captain made a decision and it was obviously the right one. The headlines could however have become... "every passenger was reasonably safe while the fire services dealt with the emergency until some idiot took it on his own decision to ignore the cabin crews instructions and opened an exit door on the other side of the aircraft. He escaped but the resulting ingress of smoke and flame killed 150 passengers while the fire crews fought the now increasing conflagration"

How would you live with that ?

Comment

Gabriel, I'm with you, especially after what happened to that 737 that caught fire in Japan! What causes engine fires?

Comment

An emergency evacuation ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE FIRE ends with a couple of bones broken.
                          This was a pooling fire. I can see why the crew might find the idea of deploying slides into a potential pool of fire less appealing than waiting for the fire response that is visibly enroute. As I think you, yourself pointed out in the BA 777 engine fire incident, a fire on one side can quickly become a fire on the other side with pooling fuel on the ground. I'm not saying it's a easy decision, but with the smoke being blown away from the fuselage and fire crews only a minute away, I think they might have done the right thing here.

Comment

A fire like that can get seriously out of control very quickly, with things (like fuel tanks in the wings) starting to explode,
                            Outside of Hollywood, how many in-tank explosions are you aware of in the absence of an actual crash? It's an honest question, I'm not aware of any.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                              Outside of Hollywood, how many in-tank explosions are you aware of in the absence of an actual crash? It's an honest question, I'm not aware of any.
                              TWA and two or 3 identical precedents that luckily happened on the ground.
                              And there wasn't even a fire to trigger them.

Ok, you want something similar to this incident? Here you have one. There were a couple more that I don't recall the details.

The plane landed normally at 10:26 a.m. local time and taxied to the gate area by 10:34. Ground crew noticed flames coming from engine number 2 as Captain You Chien-kou shut it down in anticipation of gate connection. Informed about the situation by air traffic controllers, the captain ordered an emergency evacuation. All passengers and flight attendants managed to leave the aircraft safely through the four hatches using slides. The first officer and the captain left the aircraft through the cockpit windows when the last flight attendant had fled from the right aft hatch. Immediately after the evacuation of the last person (the Taiwanese captain), the number 2 engine and right wing fuel tanks exploded and burst violently into flames, igniting a blaze that destroyed the aircraft.

The fire was spotted at about 10:33, about 6 minutes after touchdown.
                              At 10:33:58, the fire was reported to the fire station at Naha airport.
                              At 10:35 two airport fire engines left the fire station.
                              Close to one minute later the first fire engine tried to contact the tower, but got no response.
                              At about 10:36 the first explosion occurred, causing the first officer, who was leaving the cockpit through the window, to fall to the ground.
                              Now, I don't know you, but I know very well on what side of the fuselage I would have been by 2:00 in this video. On the out-side. With a crew-initiated evacuation or not. You can stay inside with Brian all you want.

Comment

Working...
                              X