Korean Air to launch Delhi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Korean Air to launch Delhi

Korean will begin flying to the Indian capital from December, no other information given yet, it will be their second destination after Mumbai, Korean Air Cargo serve Chennai there.

MIAT Mongolian Airlines which were planning to serve DEL as well from April did not launch the route.

Originally posted by LUNN View Post
    Korean will begin flying to the Indian capital from December, no other information given yet, it will be their second destination after Mumbai, Korean Air Cargo serve Chennai there.

MIAT Mongolian Airlines which were planning to serve DEL as well from April did not launch the route.
    I get it - kinda. KE does capture some of the NRI market on the US-ICN-DEL route. With a high GDP growth rate, I guess it is a good move to get in now and see it mature.

The question is; go it alone, and have no local partner? I guess that they could talk/work with 9W (the DL, AF/KL ties are there already). I would love to see them grow, and tapping Chennai, or Bangalore on might be decent in both developing a great Indian network, as well as, tying a few tech-hubs together.

For one, this is encouraging news to other carriers;
    http://airwaysnews.com/blog/2015/12/...sco-and-delhi/
    For example, from BLR to SFO, due to a long layover in DEL, there is essentially no difference in total travel time between Air India and Emirates.
    Further, total travel time on Lufthansa’s “Bangalore Express” is only 50 minutes slower to SFO.
    So, if KE timed it right, they could offer a competitive advantage to many onto the U.S. (SFO being used as my example here);

AI's; BLR-DEL-SFO at 8765 miles.
    KE's; BLR-ICN-SFO at 9085 miles. (+4.4% distance)
    EK's; BLR-DXB-SFO at 9778 miles (+12.4% distance,and yet dominating the market)
    LH's; BLR-FRA-SFO at 10,301 miles (+18.4% distance, and yet only 50 minutes slower, and preferred by passengers).

If they added a partnership with 9W, this would only add to the competitive advantage. KE's ICN would most equitably split flight time for the passenger as well, and then have them hang out at the magnificent ICN before heading Trans-Pacific. (3427 miles (BLR-ICN) and 5658 (ICN-SFO), compared to the LH's 4602miles (BLR-FRA) and 5699 miles (FRA-SFO)). For one, it would likely be the most luxurious offerings, with some of the best connection times, and via an amazing hub.

BUT, that's a ways ahead. Let's hope that DEL makes a strong footing. With KE's US reputation being superb, and despite SkyTeam being weak in India (no 'official' members as of yet, with Star having a significant competitive advantage) - I think that for alot of SkyTeam members, NRIs, and business contracts, this will be a great move. I wish them loads of luck and hope to see it work out, and in future, Indian competition on the route. For one thing, I can see them making some good use of cargo space on the route, so here's for hoping for something largely capable.
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

The route is also served by Asiana with A330 dont know frequency and ofcourse Air India with 787 going onto one of the Japanese cities.

Comment

Originally posted by LUNN View Post
        ... and of course Air India with 787 going onto one of the Japanese cities.
        I never understood why AI operated these routes, or how they could be profitable. Flying rights aside, surely OZ (with their own hub at ICN, can more economically serve any Nipponese city - or even as competitive would be ANA, the other Star Alliance partner - at the other end of the route). Any commercial viability of these flights would seem to have gone away when AI joined Star. Does AI really have costs lower than both OZ, and ANA (at their own hubs)? Even on the issue of cargo, into DEL - there is alot of competition. I really hope these routes are minting money, because if not, these relics needs to go.
        Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Korean Air will start this route from 1 December with 5 weekly flights on board Airbus A330-200 equipment.

Comment

Working...
          X