Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member, need some trivia information.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member, need some trivia information.

Guys, I hope you can help me out.

As a small boy I remember a delta-wing fighter that had just been released. A strange creation, and I know very little about the actual plane.

I believe it was a monobloc design, and I remember a news story stating that the entire plane had to bolted to a cradle or cage to stabilize the frame if the engine had to come out.

I thought it was called the "Hustler."

I remember the little models that came in cereal boxes, and I believe one was being shown at Billy Mitchell field.

When I search for this plane, all I get is pictures of Suzuki motorcycles and larger plane called the 58, I believe. Does anyone remember this plane? Technically I believe it was classed as a fighter.

The only Hustler I know of was this one, the Convair B58. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convair_B-58_Hustler
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Thank you, sir. That looks like it, and it would be around the time I saw the plane.

The problem was that I remember it having an "X" designation. Was there a time that plane went by another number?

Comment

Originally posted by The Tourist View Post
        Thank you, sir. That looks like it, and it would be around the time I saw the plane.

The problem was that I remember it having an "X" designation. Was there a time that plane went by another number?
        Not that I recall. X may have been used when the aircraft was in its initial experimental stages but that is a guess on my part. By the way, calling me Sir makes me feel very old !!!! My name is Brian.
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Thank you, Brian. My name is Chico.

My dad was an airplane nut. He took me past Billy Mitchell Field when I was a kid to look at a tin goose, a plane he liked as a younger man.

We lived in Milwaukee during the early 1950s, on North 36th Street. My kindergarten was a few blocks away from a Nike missile site.

When I was about ten, I heard this delta winged plane fly over my dad's new house, and I remember the noise. I had just forgotten the name of the plane. But every kid knew the name "Hustler."

Comment

Working...
          X