Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boeing's and Airbus's Next Project

Just had a little thought, probably thinking too far into the future :/

But what are the two main aircraft manufacturer's planning to do next?

Boeing has the 787-10 coming soon, they're currently in the process of getting the 737 MAX into service and slowly winding down on the 747. Plus whatever they do next, there's not many numbers they can use haha, only got the 797 left

Airbus have the A350-1000, the rest of the deliveries of the A350-900 and the A350-800 (kinda stupid to say but, not sure if the -800 is still happening, haven't heard much about it). Also the A319/20/21 NEO. Think there was also a A380-900 in the blueprint section or I believe I also heard of a NEO version somewhere.

I know it's a bit crazy to ask, but i'd like to see if anyone knows anything. Also if there isn't anything this could be the thread if a new project comes up?

Originally posted by AllAboutGuitar View Post
    Just had a little thought, probably thinking too far into the future :/

But what are the two main aircraft manufacturer's planning to do next?

Boeing has the 787-10 coming soon, they're currently in the process of getting the 737 MAX into service and slowly winding down on the 747. Plus whatever they do next, there's not many numbers they can use haha, only got the 797 left

Airbus have the A350-1000, the rest of the deliveries of the A350-900 and the A350-800 (kinda stupid to say but, not sure if the -800 is still happening, haven't heard much about it). Also the A319/20/21 NEO. Think there was also a A380-900 in the blueprint section or I believe I also heard of a NEO version somewhere.

I know it's a bit crazy to ask, but i'd like to see if anyone knows anything. Also if there isn't anything this could be the thread if a new project comes up?
    I think that, with shades, Boeing has 777 and 787 for the years to come. Same Airbus with the A330 and A350. The 747 and A380 are heading to history or at least very low volumes for specific niches. Unless someone comes with something revolutionary, the step for both should be the 737 / A320 replacement.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Finally some news for after all the current new stuff. Boeing are looking at a mid-range jet to replace the 757.

Link: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...-drawing-board

Granted it's only on the drawing board but I think that may very well be the option they go for in their next project.

Comment

A 757 replacement has always made sense, and it's odd that both have kind of ignored it. Neither manufacturer has developed a true replacement yet. The 737-900 and A321 don't really fill the role completely, nor do the 787 and A350. It will be interesting to see what Boeing and perhaps Airbus come up with.

The next big thing for both will have to be the 737 and A320 replacements, even if they keep the same number designation, both will have to have more than just additional engine and wing improvements. We'll probably see both manufacturers come out with a composite based air frame eventually.

I would imagine Boeing has already started looking into the eventual 777 replacement. They'd be foolish to not at least be thinking about it, especially if they're already looking into the eventual 737-MAX replacement.

And somewhere deep in the engineering basement, I'm sure both companies have ideas for eventually building new, very large aircraft to replace or even exceed the 747 and A380, should the demand and need ever truly arise. Maybe we'll finally get the Boeing 797 BWB.

Comment

While it is true that there is a niche not covered in the hole left by the 757, and while it is true that Boeing is the most affected for that, since the A321 mission is more similar to the 757 than the B-737-900, it would be stupid for Boeing to delay a second the replacement of the 737 due to deviating resources for a 757 replacement. If it has resources to do both without affecting the 737 replacement, then ok. If not, they would be crazy. The 737 can't be upgraded anymore without very major mods, case in which a clean sheet design surely be more effective and maybe cheaper too. Bigger engines can't be fitted without lengthening the main landing gear, and the only way to do that is to move the pivot point where the strut meets the wing spar farther towards the tips. That is pretty much a new wing from scratch. A composite fuselage? A completely different structure for which the 737 certification could not be used to save certification time and money. FBW? The same. On the other hand, the A320 still has room for improvement. If Boeing makes a totally new design, the improvement would be so huge that it would force Airbus to do a major improvement of the A320, if not a new design altogether. On the other hand, if Boeing does not do a new design, a simple eneo version (even newer engine option), relatively cheap an easy for Airbus to develop when such an engine becomes available, would leave the 737 obsolete and without chance of resisting. It would be wiped out the market.

What would be really noce from Boeing would be a brand new, clean sheet design of the 737 and the 757 at the same time. A single airplane type with versions that really cover all the extremes of the single aisle market. That would save a lot of money and time in the development and certification.

Of course, it is not easy to make a single type with versions that cover the 4 corners of 3500 - 8500 miles and 150 to 250 paxs, and that covers all 4 corners efficiently. It is a huge challenge, if possible at all. But it would be really nice.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Boeing is doing some research on truss braced wings. This allows a thinner and lighter wing but the truss creates other issues. Fitting this type of aircraft in existing gates might require a hinged wing (adds weight).

Comment

Originally posted by B757300 View Post
              A 757 replacement has always made sense, and it's odd that both have kind of ignored it...
              Could it be that they have kind of ignored it precisely because it HASN'T made sense? Or is that a tad too obvious?

Comment

You'd assume anyone with the name B757-300 is devoted to a one-sided romance about the Boeing 757, which is fair enough, but I think ATLcrew is right. Why have so many airlines, especially outside the US, dropped the 757 in recent years ? I think this reflects changing market dynamics pushing much cheaper operating costs for smaller twins like various 737s and the A321, while the wide-body twins cover the other end of the old 757 role. I know there are a few missions the 757 can do which other airliners can't, but not enough to justify more 757s or a replacement. Boeing has long moved on.

Comment

There is no need to be an insulting jerk. And no, I really don't have an obsession with the 757. I don't even remember why in the heck I picked that user name, 13 years ago.

Comment

Good lord, I'm sorry. People seem very sensitive on the Internet, I'm just an old geezer. Where did I insult you ? You called yourself B757-300 - so one assumes you're not an advocate for Embraer or Bombardier or Airbus or Convair. Anyway, enough.

Comment

Boeing has announced that it would technically feasible to build a 777-10 if it generates customer interest. Also Airbus have done the same and said they would be able to build a A350-2000.

Link: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...lity-o-427165/

Comment

Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
                        You'd assume anyone with the name B757-300 is devoted to a one-sided romance about the Boeing 757, which is fair enough, but I think ATLcrew is right. Why have so many airlines, especially outside the US, dropped the 757 in recent years ? I think this reflects changing market dynamics pushing much cheaper operating costs for smaller twins like various 737s and the A321, while the wide-body twins cover the other end of the old 757 role. I know there are a few missions the 757 can do which other airliners can't, but not enough to justify more 757s or a replacement. Boeing has long moved on.
                        Aviation Week has continuing saga on the MOM aircraft. Based on comments by top Boeing officials they are looking hard at the concept - be it a new design or modification of an existing aircraft. I would anticipate a decision during the Farnborough airshow or more likely next years Paris air show.

Update: From today's AIAA newsletter:
                        Boeing Sees Strong Interest For New Mid-Range Jetliner, Says Large Jet Demand Weakened By Geopolitical Trends. Bloomberg News (7/10) reports that Boeing is receiving strong interest from carriers regarding the planned development of a mid-range aircraft, “bolstering the case for its biggest potential product development of the next 10 years.” During a Sunday press briefing, Boeing Commercial Airplanes CEO Ray Conner said, “There is clearly a market desire or need.” The article indicates that following extensive discussions with leading carriers and lessors, Boeing “sounds increasingly confident that it’s close to a solution.”

The Wall Street Journal (7/10, Subscription Publication) adds that Conner also said that continued low fuel prices and geopolitical instability related to the UK’s vote to leave the EU, ongoing sanctions against Russia, a weakened Latin American economy, and violence in the Middle East has hampered the demand for large commercial jets.

Comment

Would be better in a 'current project' thread but i'm not sure if there is one.

If some of you don't know, the first photo of F-WMIL, the first A350-1000, was posted on twitter earlier by Airbus. Can't wait to see it enter service!

Link: https://twitter.com/Airbus/status/758983185606684672

Comment

Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
                            Good lord, I'm sorry. People seem very sensitive on the Internet, I'm just an old geezer. Where did I insult you ? You called yourself B757-300 - so one assumes you're not an advocate for Embraer or Bombardier or Airbus or Convair. Anyway, enough.
                            He or she does not remember why the nickname was chosen?! Well. One thing is for sure, as you've mentioned, nothing in the internet is for sure. But people sometimes tend to believe that you've invented the 747, only because of a nickname...

A second thing that might be possible... this B753 is older than Mr Sutter. But I don't really think so. Sutter is probably older than B753 you and me together, but his mind is strong.
                            Stronger than this B753.

I'll always remember how I found this name. The B744 was invented only a few years after I became an aviation enthusiast. It is THE icon, for men in my age.
                            The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
                            The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
                            And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
                            This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
                              One thing is for sure, nothing in the internet is for sure.
                              Holly paradoxes Batman!!!

"This clause is false."

Is the above clause false or true?

Comment

Working...
                              X