No announcement yet.

BREAKING: EgyptAir flight from Paris to Cairo has disappeared from radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people always assume terrorists claim responsibility ? I see this misunderstanding all over the place time and again. A lot of terrorism psychology is based on leaving things unsaid and thus uncertain, not to mention a wish to avoid a response. Many terrorism acts going back decades have had no claim of authorship. Indeed, this applies to the outrage in Istanbul last week and other recent horrors too.

Comment

• Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
      Why do people always assume terrorists claim responsibility ? I see this misunderstanding all over the place time and again. A lot of terrorism psychology is based on leaving things unsaid and thus uncertain, not to mention a wish to avoid a response. Many terrorism acts going back decades have had no claim of authorship. Indeed, this applies to the outrage in Istanbul last week and other recent horrors too.
      maybe because in the past few years they nearly always have? terrorists are no long some ragtag bunch of miscreants hiding in the shadows. they are well organized, well funded, and post their shit on social media and the web. why? to recruit. to gain popularity amongst other miscreant asswipes.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
        I hope that's a retorical question...
        Well, more or less.

I don't expect an answer, because the question itself states that we don't know and I don't expect them (Bibi and his office), who are the ones who knows, to come and answer it. So, by definition, it is a rhetorical question.

On the other hand, I honestly wonder if they do know something regarding the plane blowing up over the Mediterranean sea.

There are 2 possibilities:

They don't know and this is just a gaffe, that would be very odd coming from an official communication from the Government of Israel (especially since it was not a spontaneous comment made live).
        Or, they know that the plane blew up and, not only that, they wanted the world to know they know.

Or... it was a misquote from CNN, but that would be impossible, no? (Ok, that's three possibilities)

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
          maybe because in the past few years they nearly always have? terrorists are no long some ragtag bunch of miscreants hiding in the shadows. they are well organized, well funded, and post their shit on social media and the web. why? to recruit. to gain popularity amongst other miscreant asswipes.
          I think that's a misconception and betrays historical illiteracy. Many terrorist groups have long been well organised and well funded, such as Cypriot separatists in the 1950s, Irish nationalists in the 1970s, Tamils in the 1990s and Palestinians from the 1960s to the present. It's true that so-called social media represent a new method of messaging, but the basic need to gain popularity and traction is nothing new. All I'm saying is that for a mixture of motives, terrorist groups often decline to claim responsibility for a variety of reasons, that's all.

Comment

• Originally posted by ErezS View Post
            Gabriel,
            I don't know what to tell you.
            I know that it's one of main subjects all over the news in Israel.
            Hey Eretz,
            I saw someone saying that he checked a lot of Israeli media and they are all quoting that the plane "fell off the sky", not "blew up".
            Can you confirm it? (that would make it a miss-quote miss-translation by the CNN, would not be precisely unthinkable)

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

• Look, while we can't rule it out, terrorism doesn't make much sense here. It could explain the smoke detection in the lavatory but not the almost simultaneous smoke detection in the avionics bay. It doesn't synch with the known ACARS messages. There is no decompression and no mention of a cascade of system failures. There has been a press leak that the crew were fighting a fire in the cockpit.

Nor does a Swissair 111 scenario fit. The time between the smoke detection and loss of control/dropping off radar is too brief. Swissair 111 suffered (most likely) an arcing event that ignited the MPET insulation, but that stuff doesn't just go up like a christmas tree. It burns progressively as a flame front, creating smoke and destruction over a larger period of time. Swissair had plenty of time to declare emergency.

Something aside from wiring and insulation seems to have accelerated the fire in a very short span of time. Was it a broken oxygen line? They might not be able to solve this one until they retrieve and analyse the wreckage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                Hey Eretz,
                I saw someone saying that he checked a lot of Israeli media and they are all quoting that the plane "fell off the sky", not "blew up".
                Can you confirm it? (that would make it a miss-quote miss-translation by the CNN, would not be precisely unthinkable)
                Gabriel,
                I cannot confirm anything.
                I'm not sure that I heard about a bomb or other terrorist act.
                This is only one of the explanations.
                Maybe we have also a bit of a language barrier problems with this issue ...

Erez.

Comment

• Latest news:

An audio recording made on board an EgyptAir flight that crashed in the Mediterranean Sea in May discusses a fire, investigators say.

An Egyptian-led team said on Saturday that the information was found on a cockpit flight recording.
                  The word "fire" was heard on the cockpit voice recorder of an EgyptAir flight that crashed in the Mediterranean Sea in May, investigators say.

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham2001 View Post
                    SHOCKING TURN OF EVENTS, THERE MAY HAVE BEEN A FIRE ON BOARD?
                    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• This was definitely NOT at Swissair 111 scenario:

Originally posted by BBC
                      Crew members were playing music and chatting amiably when the pilot, Capt. Muhammad Shoukair, 36, suddenly said there was a fire on board and asked the co-pilot, Muhammad Mamdouh Assem, 24, to get an extinguisher. That was the last human sound the recorder captured.
                      I can't see an unaccellerated electrical fire speading that quickly. Something other than wiring and insulation must have fueled this. Also, investigators are speculating that the flight broke up in mid-air. An explosion or a structural failure?

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
                        This was definitely NOT at Swissair 111 scenario:

I can't see an unaccellerated electrical fire speading that quickly. Something other than wiring and insulation must have fueled this. Also, investigators are speculating that the flight broke up in mid-air. An explosion or a structural failure?
                        Link?

Comment

I can't see an unaccellerated electrical fire speading that quickly.
                          Maybe not but quite possibly an accelerated one? The aircraft comes from the factory with a nice potential accelerant in the form of the crew oxygen system.

Perhaps something like this*? https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...ircuit-379655/

* Not *exactly* like that - this accident obviously involves a different type of aircraft. But it does of course have both a crew oxygen system and an electrical system, and if there's a failure at a point where the two are in proximity...
                          Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

• Originally posted by elaw View Post
                            Maybe not but quite possibly an accelerated one?
                            I think Eric's parlour speculation is valid as evidence by this rather mundane fuel source and a rather mundane enhancement to the oxygen supply = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr8mJ79HOsk
                            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Originally posted by elaw View Post
                              Maybe not but quite possibly an accelerated one? The aircraft comes from the factory with a nice potential accelerant in the form of the crew oxygen system.
                              That would be an accellerated fire. I consider that a valid possibility. One thing is fairly certain: this was not simply an electrical/insulation fire.

Comment

That would be an accellerated fire. I consider that a valid possibility. One thing is fairly certain: this was not simply an electrical/insulation fire.
                                Indeed. In those you only burn the insulation and wiring.

Comment

Working...
                                X