BREAKING: EgyptAir flight from Paris to Cairo has disappeared from radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EgyptAir crash: Wreckage found in Mediterranean
    Wreckage of the EgyptAir Paris-Cairo flight MS804 has been found in the Mediterranean a month after the crash, Egyptian investigators say.

Comment

• CVR has been recovered and handed over by Egyptian authorities to investigation team

Le vol MS804 qui reliait Paris au Caire avait disparu des écrans radars le 19 mai. L'une des deux boîtes noires vient d'être récupérée par les autorités.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyerforfun View Post
        CVR has been recovered and handed over by Egyptian authorities to investigation team
        And a BBC article for the non-French speakers:
        The cockpit voice recorder from the EgyptAir plane that crashed last month has been recovered with its memory unit intact, Egyptian investigators say.

Comment

• Originally posted by sjwk View Post
          And a BBC article for the non-French speakers:
          http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-36551464
          or even non-French readers

Comment

• 2nd 'black box' now found also:
            The flight data recorder from the EgyptAir plane that crashed in the Mediterranean Sea last month has been retrieved, Egyptian investigators say.

Comment

• Hopefully they won't be shy with the information. This one is a head-scratcher and the last two (AF-447 and AIrAsia 8501) both turned out to be unthinkable pilot error that nobody could have speculated. I hope that isn't the case here and if there is an incendiary threat inherent in the aircraft (such as in the case of Swissair 111) it needs to be made public (along with the steps to remediate it) as soon as it is positively identified.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
                Hopefully they won't be shy with the information. This one is a head-scratcher and the last two (AF-447 and AIrAsia 8501) both turned out to be unthinkable pilot error that nobody could have speculated. I hope that isn't the case here and if there is an incendiary threat inherent in the aircraft (such as in the case of Swissair 111) it needs to be made public (along with the steps to remediate it) as soon as it is positively identified.
                Swissair 111 is a very very very special story. It was in German TV one or two months ago.
                aircraft: SR-MD11 (SR was the two letter code for the old Swissair, 1931-2002)

I don't think that almost 20 years after the worst accident with a Swiss aircraft, something like that should happen again. Everybody in Europe should have learned since 1998.

MD-11 again, I am too young to say what led to the development of the MD-11. Is it a direct successor of the DC-10?
                Aircraft types that have been invented in the late 1960s do not necessarily include technical failure, I know what I am talkin about...

The BBC (sjwk's link) seems to be more up to date than the Daily Telegraph. CVR and FDR have been found, that's what we also know here in Germany. And both recorders are not in a shiny new condition...

Like Evan, I am curious. But I don't think that, since 1987, an A320 has been delivered with a technical mistake on board.
                The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
                The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
                And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
                This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

• Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post

I don't think that almost 20 years after the worst accident with a Swiss aircraft, something like that should happen again. Everybody in Europe should have learned since 1998.

Like Evan, I am curious. But I don't think that, since 1987, an A320 has been delivered with a technical mistake on board.
                  The Swissair 111 investigation made a list of recommendations, most urgently regarding the replacement of MPET thermal acoustic insulation and inspection and possible modification of wiring. A decade later the industry was still dragging its feet on those recommendations. There were very type-specific AD's issues for removal of MPET but AFAIK only within the FAA's jurisdiction. There are still plenty of aircraft in service with MPET and other types of particularly flammable insulation. A transient arcing issue can still set them on fire without tripping the CB's. A lot of that wiring is in inaccessible places. Lessons were learned after SR 111, but the response was weak in many places. It could happen again.

Boeing and Airbus have taken steps on new aircraft designs like the B787 and the A350, but a 2003-build A320 in Egyptian hands since new could still have the more hazardous insulation. Lessons learned are worthless if you don't make changes mandatory.

Comment

• (CNN) - What sent EgyptAir flight 804 plummeting into the Mediterranean Sea last month, remains a mystery.

Egyptian investigators have failed to extract any information from the badly-damaged memory chips of the crucial black boxes.

Defeated, Egypt is now sending both the cockpit voice recorder and the flight data recorder to the BEA in France in an effort to help download the data.

The BEA -- the French version of the NTSB -- are considered some the best in the world at analyzing this type of equipment.

In a statement released on Thursday, EgyptAir said the French will "carry out repair and removal of salt accumulations."

"Then (the black boxes will be sent) back to Cairo to perform data analysis at the labs of the Ministry of Civil Aviation.

Egyptian investigators, trying to extract any information from the badly-damaged memory chips of the crucial black boxes have failed, according to a U.S. official.

Comment

MD-11 again, I am too young to say what led to the development of the MD-11. Is it a direct successor of the DC-10?
                      Aircraft types that have been invented in the late 1960s do not necessarily include technical failure, I know what I am talkin about...

The BBC (sjwk's link) seems to be more up to date than the Daily Telegraph. CVR and FDR have been found, that's what we also know here in Germany. And both recorders are not in a shiny new condition...

For sure you do! But I got a good laugh from it!

Comment

Have you ever thought of becoming a comedian?

Comment

• Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                          Have you ever thought of becoming a comedian?

Never thought of that! Maybe I have been reading him all wrong!

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
                            Hopefully they won't be shy with the information. This one is a head-scratcher and the last two (AF-447 and AIrAsia 8501) both turned out to be unthinkable pilot error that nobody could have speculated. I hope that isn't the case here and if there is an incendiary threat inherent in the aircraft (such as in the case of Swissair 111) it needs to be made public (along with the steps to remediate it) as soon as it is positively identified.
                            Just curious. Did Brazilian flights to Europe ever alter course at all? In the past 7 years, I'm thinking at least hundreds of planes have done Rio to Europe through the ITCZ without another crash. Had to be some number hit those super cold temperatures and updrafts. Only remedy I can think of is to fly through it over land so they don't plummet into a very deep submarine trench.

Comment

• Can you guys stop that.

Good news from France (at least this time not just for some)

"Late Jun 27th 2016 Egypt's CAA announced (mirrored by the BEA in the morning of Jun 28th), that the French experts at the BEA Labs were able to successfully repair the electronic boards of the flight data recorder, subsequent testing to ensure data were on the recorder and can be downloaded has been successful. The following day (Jun 28th) attempts to repair the board of the cockpit voice recorder will commence, thereafter the recorders will be returned to Cairo for download and data analysis."

Comment

• Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post
                                Just curious. Did Brazilian flights to Europe ever alter course at all? In the past 7 years, I'm thinking at least hundreds of planes have done Rio to Europe through the ITCZ without another crash. Had to be some number hit those super cold temperatures and updrafts. Only remedy I can think of is to fly through it over land so they don't plummet into a very deep submarine trench.
                                Yes, with competent pilots the worst case scenario is that you lose airspeeds and autopilot momentarilly and then the speeds return and the autopilot is re-engaged. I'm sure crews were more apprehensive of threading through nasty radar returns after AF447 but nothing that happened to that flight made it inherently dangerous until the gross, unthinkable pilot error came in.

Comment

Working...
                                X