Photos coming out very dark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos coming out very dark

Hi, this probably should be a very embarrassing question, for a photographer so long in the tooth as myself, but after a recent visit to LHR, where the sun was very strong and it was a very bright day, the photos that came out were quite dark and I have to whack in a large amount of brightness to make them good enough to submit.

I was just wondering what could be causing this; I have the ISO setting at 200; perhaps cut it back to 100?

Any other suggestions?

Originally posted by akerosid View Post
    Hi, this probably should be a very embarrassing question, for a photographer so long in the tooth as myself, but after a recent visit to LHR, where the sun was very strong and it was a very bright day, the photos that came out were quite dark and I have to whack in a large amount of brightness to make them good enough to submit.

I was just wondering what could be causing this; I have the ISO setting at 200; perhaps cut it back to 100?

Any other suggestions?
    Might be worth checking your camera's exposure setting and make sure it's using evaluative rather than centre weighted or spot exposure (unless you manually changed it of course). If it's center weighted and you're exposing on the very bright fuselage it's going to compensate for that across the whole frame potentially underexposing the rest of the image. Evaluative will evaluate the exposure across the entire frame.

Comment

Originally posted by akerosid View Post
      Unless you're shooting with all settings manual, then changing the ISO won't make a difference, as the camera will simply adjust one of the other two exposure inputs (aperture/shutter speed). I agree with James that the first place to start would be to check what kind of metering you had set. Having it set to centre weighted on a sunny day while shooting bright-white fuselages could certainly have caused the problem.

Comment

There are three choices on my camera for metering : matrix, centre weighted and spot. "Matrix" seems to be the best option here, as it evaluates the best outcome.

Thanks folks!

Comment

Working...
        X