Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Stop Movie Bomb

Hey Everyone,

Currently watching 'Non-Stop', the one where Liam Neeson is an air marshall and there's messages that come through to him pretty much saying there's a bomb on board. Because i've seen it before, i know how the bomb is 'diffused' as such.

He's heard of a theory that descend far enough, put the bomb at the back of the plane and put every single bag you can find around it, it'll hopefully partially shield the blast... It works, Mr Air Marshall (Neeson) saves the plane.

Now my question is, this is a quite cool concept and if it was to ever happen, would it work in real life?

Originally posted by AllAboutGuitar View Post
    Hey Everyone,

Currently watching 'Non-Stop', the one where Liam Neeson is an air marshall and there's messages that come through to him pretty much saying there's a bomb on board. Because i've seen it before, i know how the bomb is 'diffused' as such.

He's heard of a theory that descend far enough, put the bomb at the back of the plane and put every single bag you can find around it, it'll hopefully partially shield the blast... It works, Mr Air Marshall (Neeson) saves the plane.

Now my question is, this is a quite cool concept and if it was to ever happen, would it work in real life?
    Short answer: no.

Long answer: It depends.
    A strong enough bomb will render the plane incompatible with flight no matter where you put it.
    A small enough bomb may leave the plane flyable no matter where you put it, as a recent terrorist act demonstrated.
    If the bomb is in the range of power where whether the plane will remain flyable or not depends on where you put it, then the smart thing would be to put it as far as possible from critical structure and system, because the destructive power diminish with the cube of the distance. That would certainly be not at the very back of the plane against the real pressure bulkhead, where you have a combination of critical structure and critical systems all cramped in a small place.
    Another factor would be to depressurize the plane to avoid the addition of the destructive power of an explosive decompression, and why not open all doors and emergency windows as possible as to vent out the pressure as soon as possible and hence limit the increase of pressure during the explosion. Altitude would not be a critical issue for any of this, however if you are going to depressurize the plane it would be wise to go down so the passengers and crew don't need to don O2 masks.

So taking all that into account, I would descend, depressurize, open all doors and windows that can possibly be opened, place the bomb in the center of the aisle (if it is a narrow body, if not in the center seat of the center block) about midpoint between the wings and the tail, and remove as many things as possible from around the bomb, things that would turn into projectiles and shrapnel when the bomb explodes. I might put a wall of bags as a shield for the pax (not for the bomb), as far away from the bomb as possible.

Now, my question would be, if you think that time is really critical, but you have enough time to descend as described above, why not just land even if it is off-airport? I certainly prefer an off-airport emergency landing than a bomb exploding while in flight.

And even more important: If you can move the bomb as to choose where to place it. I choose to place it out of the plane: Depressurize, open a door or window, and throw it away.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Working...
    X