DARK / UNDEREXPOSED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DARK / UNDEREXPOSED

These photos were taken on a windy SUNNY day on December 21, 2015 at 12:59 local time at Miami Airport.
    If there is something they CANNOT be is DARK / UNDEREXPOSED.

The photos are clear with the sun clearly behind me as I am taking the photo.
    I have selected photos where the angle of the sun illuminates the aircraft in the best way.
    It was windy therefore the aircraft is quite well illuminated and sharp in focus with no effects of haze.
    There was no lunar eclipse that day, in any part of the world....so we can scratch that as a possible cause for saying it is DARK.

I cannot believe these photos have the rejection as DARK - this is very wierd.
    One screener with a kind heart suggested in the rejection "Adjust the luminosity histogram".
    But the photos are 100% OK with luminosity. What am I going to do - manipulate the photos so they will get rejected for other reasons?

I am going insane. I have had problems with cloudy days and dirty airplane windows.
    But now that I had a dream spotting day, I get this completely strange rejection. It worries me very very much.

They could probably stand to be brightened a touch, but I agree, not so much that they should have been rejected. I'd recommend appealing those.

Comment

My appeal has been rejected.

I truly have never had a photo rejected as DARK when in complete sunlight. This is very absurd.
      These types of ambiguous rejection motifs are a reason many of my spotting friends have abandoned JetPhotos.
      Saying that my photos in total sunlight are dark is like telling someone they have a crumb behind their sweater. The sweater is covering the crumb and no one can tell.

I am not advocating that medium quality photos be accepted. What I am saying is that many us have invested time and money in this hobby. A rejection must be well motivated not with oddball situations 95% of the people will never see or understand.
      Honestly using the old system, does it look good - is that not enough? This hocus pocus of histograms is fine when photos really need surgery. But when a photo was taken in practically perfect conditions and the camera settings are correct. Finding the needle in the haystack seems quite strange.

I am really worried now because I have had over 40 photos rejected because I took them through a dirty airplane window.
      Now I risk that many of my photos in perfect sunlight will be rejected.

Comment

They can be quite easily dark/underexposed even when the sun is out if you don't expose it properly. The luminosity histogram on all three is showing an underexposure with the flat line on the right hand end. This is easily adjusted. See here for help... http://forums.jetphotos.net/showthre...l=1#post579113
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

The photos are genuinely underexposed, Brian explained how you can check it by the histogram.
          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Even from a non-screener perspective all three photos appear under-exposed to me. Looks like your camera maybe over-compensated for it being a bright day and decreased the exposure leaving you with an under-exposed image.

Comment

Since pointing fingers is not accepted I cannot prove to the audience that my photos are fine, despite the Kings of the Histogram presenting their case.
              There are countless other photos accepted and celebrated that are in much worse conditions.
              But if the current trend is to manipulate the photos rather than leave them as pure as they are - so be it. But I am worried I will end up with more rejections.
              This is the trend that has led many spotters to abandon the JetPhotos ship.

James you were in Miami a few weeks after me and I checked your EXIF data - not very different than mine. This is what boggles me.

But what can I say, if these are the rules.....it will take me considering rejections, about 10 years to reach the humble target of 1.000 accepted photos.

Comment

All you need to do is set the luminosity histogram as part of your workflow. It is very easy. There is rarely any point in disregarding the luminosity histogram. It will give you a correct dark tone versus light tone baseline from which to work.
                You cannot prove to the audience that your photos are fine because, put very bluntly, they are not fine.
                Last edited by brianw999; 2016-05-01, 18:25.
                If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Working...
                X