No announcement yet.

Brief Overspeed - Inspection Required?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brief Overspeed - Inspection Required?

Hi!

Just a curious question for those with aviation experience here. If a flight briefly accidentally overspeeds, by maybe 2kts and for just 5 seconds, is an inspection/repairs required for the aircraft? Say a 737-400's Vne is 340KIAS (correct me if im wrong), and it experiences a sudden gush of headwind at cruise bringing the airspeed to 342KIAS briefly. Will the next leg of the journey be delayed/cancelled because an inspection/repairs?

Thanks in advance for info

PS: same question for the flap / gear overspeeds.

No , It think they would do just for over speed of 10 kt or more

Comment

Originally posted by jarod View Post
      No , It think they would do just for over speed of 10 kt or more
      To explore further though, what would an inspection for overspeed include?
      Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Typically those sorts of inspections are operator-specific, as are triggers for them. In other words, it's up to the airline to decide what's considered a bad enough overspeed (or a bad enough hard landing etc) to require an inspection as well as what specifically will be inspected.

Comment

The Aircraft Maintenance Manual (AMM) would let you know what to do. They give different scenarios and if you can defer it or it needs to be done before the next flight. It all depends on if the gear & flaps were up or down and what phase of flight it happened.

Comment

Thank you so much guys! Brilliant, and now I have alot of research to do.

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
            Typically those sorts of inspections are operator-specific, as are triggers for them. In other words, it's up to the airline to decide what's considered a bad enough overspeed (or a bad enough hard landing etc) to require an inspection as well as what specifically will be inspected.
            What kind of conditions would 'overspeed' be a positive or necessary thing to do? As it is operator specific - what operations does it happen on/frequent? I'm just a bit fascinated to know more - as in, where it is necessary to do...

Originally posted by CcrlR View Post
            The Aircraft Maintenance Manual (AMM) would let you know what to do. They give different scenarios and if you can defer it or it needs to be done before the next flight. It all depends on if the gear & flaps were up or down and what phase of flight it happened.
            I get the implication - check what could have been damaged by the stress (the gear, the flaps) - i.e., the speed sensitive equipment - and please correct me if I am wrong. What is needed to be checked on the engines, if anything? Are there conditions that can occur where you have an over speed and not have the engines affected (well, apart for a sudden dive I guess...)? I am such a novice that my first thought went to the engines, not the flaps or gear (which are more fragile). Can the engine just handle the stress of an overspeed, and/or recover better from it?

Any help will be appreciated guys. Again, thanks for being so helpful/knowledgeable to begin with...
            Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Working...
            X