Air Algérie / Swiftair MD83 crash Final report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Algérie / Swiftair MD83 crash Final report

French BEA along with Govrnment of Mali released their final report on April 22, 2016.

It confirm the cause is deicing systems not activated by crew.

Note to the moderator:
    - I'll look for teh english version as soon as it is released
    - Sorry for posting here, I coudn't find the original thread

Again!!!!!

Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

The accident was the result of a combination of the following events:

- the non-activation of the engine anti-icing systems

- the obstruction of the Pt2 pressure sensors, probably by ice crystals, generating erroneous EPR values that caused the autothrottle to limit the thrust produced by the engines to a level below that required to maintain the aeroplane at FL310.

- the crew's late reaction to the decrease in speed [Gabe's note, from 230 to 200 kts, and from Mach .64 to .55, and the pitch attitude increase from 3 to 10 degrees, all before the stickshaker] and to the erroneous EPR values, possibly linked to the work load associated with avoiding the convective zone and communication difficulties with air traffic control.

- the crew's lack of reaction to the appearance of buffet, the stickshaker and the stall warning.

- the lack of appropriate inputs on the flight controls to recover from a stall situation. [lack of appropriate inputs and existance of anty-recovery inputs, since they "have been pulling up all the time"]

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

We got our somatogravic/somatogyral illusion with Flydubai, and here we also get our stall. All we could have asked for.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
        Again!!!!
        Are you surprised? Let me guess... the crew didn't understand the relationship between the Pt2 sensor, EPR and the autothrust target... and thought stall warning meant 'point it up'....

Comment

Working...
        X