Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drone collides with British Airways A320

Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

Plane resumed service 2 hours later. Glad nobody was hurt.

it's only a matter of time before one of these idiotic toys kills some folks. why they were ever allowed to proliferate as they have is beyond me.

Comment

Hey, is this type of "idiotic toy" included?

...because if they are, in order to stop them proliferating you're going to need a time machine. They've been around since 1932.
      Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

The trouble is, your picture shows something that requires traditional airmanship.

A drone uses Air Bus FBW logic. You tell it up, it goes up, down it goes down. No skill is required.

So, no skill required to put your drone on the final approach course, AND can pull up relentlessly and not think twice about it.
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

If I see anyone flying a drone in the approach or close to an approaching aircraft I WILL INFORM THE POLICE. I will also photograph them and offer to give evidence against them should a prosecution be brought against them. These wankers are the kind of twat that will end up getting spotters and photographers banned from airports. The same goes for the wankers that shine laser beams at aircraft cockpits.
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post

...because if they are, in order to stop them proliferating you're going to need a time machine. They've been around since 1932.
            R/C aircraft have been around for years. Like 3WE said, those things (I have like half a dozen of them) require flying skills. By the time a person learns how to fly an R/C, he/she respects the aviation system. When was the last time we heard an R/C plane coming deliberately close to an airliner? And I bet there are more of them than drones.

Comparing an R/C to a drone kinda reminds me of this cartoon...

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post

and in between 1932 and today, how many incidents of "those" flying in or near the flight path of real aircraft were reported??????????? huh? what's that? none? yeah i thought so...

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                and in between 1932 and today, how many incidents of "those" flying in or near the flight path of real aircraft were reported??????????? huh? what's that? none? yeah i thought so...
                While I agree that drones have made nuisance flying far more accessible to the average idiot who thinks this is a fun idea, it certainly happens with radio controlled planes too - here are a few news reports from the last few years. To say this is a new problem caused only by drones is simply not accurate.

The pilot of the full-sized Tutor aircraft was forced to bank hard to the left in order to avoid a collision after it appeared both aircraft were flying at the same height, the UK Airport Board report stated.

Fundamentally though surely it's not the tool at fault but the way it's used. Banning something with legitimate uses just because it's used irresponsibly by a small number isn't a solution (or surely Americans would have banned guns long ago), they'll go and find something else to use irresponsibly instead. Instead there should be very harsh penalties for anyone potentially endangering aircraft whether intentionally or not, whether with a drone, a model plane, a kite, laser pointers, ...

I'm learning to fly radio controlled gliders, but have been thinking of getting a drone - mostly for stable panoramic aerial photos and video (and checking the tiles and gutters on my roof). There's no way I'd fly either of those anywhere near aircraft or flight paths, or without insurance just in case. I don't see why I should be made to feel like a criminal or unable to enjoy a hobby because a tiny minority want to get on the national news or simply don't consider their actions.

Comment

first report says: "While the report said the local model aircraft flying club had been permitted to use the airspace..."

2 reports in 7 years vs. the tens we read every year re drones? i stand by my original sarcasm.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                    it's only a matter of time before one of these idiotic toys kills some folks. why they were ever allowed to proliferate as they have is beyond me.
                    Lets eliminate birds as well. Since you know, birds have actually taken out planes. I don't see a significant threat difference between large birds and typical drones.

Comment

Originally posted by xspeedy View Post
                      I don't see a significant threat difference between large birds and typical drones.
                      Birds are guided by bigger brains.

Comment

its' fairly safe to assume that these toys are being used to film things, e.g., aircraft on approach, whereas RC airplanes are not. it's also completely moronic to say we should eliminate birds, especially since we are invading their territory.

these morons are ignoring the lives of others in their desperate attempts to film large aircraft flying....WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW BLOODY EXCITING AND INTERESTING!!!!!!!!! They should all win awards for filming airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by xspeedy View Post
                          I don't see a significant threat difference between large birds and typical drones.
                          I do: Intention, awareness, criminal negligence...

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                            I do: Intention, awareness, criminal negligence...
                            ....not forgetting plain stupidity.

I would urge anyone seeing one of these things being flown anywhere near a flight path to call the police immediately. Get a description of the person flying it and any vehicle that they are using. If you can, take some pictures of them for evidence.
                            Make no mistake, one day it will be more than a dented nose cone.
                            Drones have their use but near an airport is not one of them.
                            Last edited by brianw999; 2016-04-21, 09:52.
                            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

The latest thoughts are that it may not have been a drone, but rather a plastic bag carried aloft and floating up in the air.

There was understandable alarm in the U.K. earlier in the week when a drone reportedly hit a passenger plane coming in to land at London's Heathrow airport.

Comment

Working...
                              X