Views:	1
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	1044811

Originally posted by Leftseat86 View Post
    Ouf...

Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

No ILS at Monterrey?

Comment

Article in AVH says that, after landing in the wrong (general aviation) airport, the pilots said that they had to divert due to an obstruction on the runway at the correct (International) airport, and 10 minutes later they took off again for the correct airport.

A reader comment says that Aeromexico fired the 2 pilots.

I would like to know how the situation leading to the error developed.
      1- If the pilots were talking personal matters when planning, briefing and executing the approach, or if they skipped key required steps (like checklists or briefing), and if at the same time Aeromexico has a REAL policy of sterile cockpit and procedure adherence (REAL: demonstrated in the day-by-day attitude, decisions, training, punishment, etc... not just when something goes wrong), then yes, I would fire them.
      2- On the other hand, I would not fire them if Aeromexico lacks a REAL sterile cockpit and procedure adherence (opportunity for the Management) or if it was a honest mistake by the pilots while being otherwise professional and trying to do a good job.
      3- Now, I would fire them anyway if the situation is number 2, and they lied about the situation, and expedited a take-off without a proper flight planning and dispatch (including flight plan including alternate, take-off performance computation, required fuel computation, etc...).

Basically, I would fire them if they were intentionally not following the procedures and policies before, during or after the mistake. I would not fire someone for a honest mistake, but that includes holding oneself accountable and take the appropriate measures after the mistake instead of trying to just fix it ASAP and perhaps cover it.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

I'm the last one to advocate firing people for a single "honest mistake" but my thinking is in line with your point #3.

If the facts are as described on the AvHerald page... they told pax the diversion was intentional when it most likely was not, and turned around and took off again without contacting the company, doing takeoff calcs, and computing a flight plan, that's pretty bad.
        Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Working...
        X