Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Connie flies again!

http://www.warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/columbine-ii-flight.html

In the stifling, mid-day heat of Saturday, March 19th the hard-earned dreams of a year-long effort saw the first post-restoration flight of the Lockheed VC-121A Constellation known as Columbine II. ....Columbine II is the only civilian-owned aircraft from the presidential fleet, having served in the early 1950s as President Dwight D. Eisenhower’s personal transport during his first term in the White House. She was the first aircraft ever to fly with the call sign Air Force One.

Congratulations to the team in Marana, AZ for getting this beauty back in the air!

Nice!
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
      Nice!
      CONCUR
      "I know that at times I can be a little over the top." -ITS

Comment

Marana, AZ?

Isn't that the town where all the Boeings die?

Here at my home airport we also once had an all time aviation classic, on top of the roof! She was only a triple engine a/c.
        "Tante Ju", as old EDDL enthusiasts call her, was official

a Junkers Flugzeugwerk Ju 52.

Since 1978, my Home airport has changed alot. No tri-propellers on the roof, no Tristars on the apron. And no
        Spantax DC 10, no longer since 1988.
        The airport in this jetphoto does not need any explanation. An icon, as long as I know this place.
        Only the a/c types change from time to time...

Congratulations, I love four engines. But, let me think for a moment, have I seen a four propeller aircraft in the air since 1978? Probably I'll have to say No.

A Connie . As long as I am on board this website, I only know this project [you should ignore the watch ads in this commented weblink ]:
        Breitling Super Connie in Europe

Four engines are better than three, isn't it like that.

PS: I like to leave a few words than can be altered by my favourite hyper moderator. A 747 is as old as me. The Super Connie is as old as? Gail Halvorsen. A compliment, mate. Aviation still provides a few men who are older than my home airport. Joe Sutter is a young man, isn't he (*1921).
        Last edited by LH-B744; 2016-03-23, 01:19. Reason: Spantax.
        The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
        The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
        And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
        This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
          Marana, AZ?

Isn't that the town where all the Boeings die?
          Well luckily for us, this wasn't a Boeing!

Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
          Four engines are better than three, isn't it like that.
          In the case of propeller-driven craft, I'd say often "yes". Three engines can lead to some *ugly* designs:

In the case of jet aircraft, not so much:

Okay, maybe I'm a little biased in favor of the L-1011...
          Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post
            ...Okay, maybe I'm a little biased in favor of the L-1011...
            I have mixed emotions on the Lockheed. I actually find it ugly...a lot of cancerous bulges there on the back, and there's nothing sexy about grabbing a chunk of air, and then shoving it down several feet because you want the tail cone of the fuselage to be an engine...especially how steeply the S-duct (For some reason, I like the 727 equivalent much more...it's sleeker...the 1011 is just fat).

And as long as we're offending each other, I LOVE the Trislander (and I'm not_just sucking up to Not_Karl).

(PS, I do like the livery of the 1011.)
            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Yeah I guess I agree on the appearance of the 1011. It looks like a 727 that needs to go to Jenny Craig. I think its appeal to me is more the technology... triple-spool engines, advanced flight controls and autopilot, etc. But truth be told I like the 727 even better... it's as much a "pilot's plane" as any airliner and I found them quiet and comfortable to ride on.

Re the Trislander, can we sign you up to be the checker-of-oil for the center engine?
              Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Working...
              X