Flydubai Flight 981 Crashes on Landing in Rostov-on-Don, Russia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flydubai Flight 981 Crashes on Landing in Rostov-on-Don, Russia

(CNN)A Boeing 737 passenger jet crashed as it was landing at the Rostov-on-Don airport in southern Russia, the country's Southern Regional Emergency Center said Saturday.

All people on board have died, Russian state news agency Tass reported, citing an official at the emergency center.

Flydubai Flight 981 had traveled from Dubai to Rostov-on-Don with 55 people aboard, the emergency center said.

After circling a southern Russian airport for more than two hours because of high ground-level winds and poor visibility, a passenger jet from the United Arab Emirates crashed during a landing attempt, killing all 62 people aboard.

Aircraft is A6-FDN, a Boeing 737-8KN.

A6-FDN. Boeing 737-8KN. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Edit: Is the function to add JP image thumbnails to posts not working anymore?

Comment

Video of what is said to be the crash @ the link below.

FlyDubai Flight FZ981 was carrying 55 passengers and seven crew members from Dubai when it crashed at Rostov-on-Don airport as it attempted to land for a second time in bad weather conditions.

Comment

They contacted the ground on their go around attempt I think causing controllability issues on their second attempt?
        moving quickly in air

Comment

Originally posted by B757300 View Post
          Video of what is said to be the crash @ the link below.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-airport.html

I just saw that video - very hard to tell angles/direction etc., but at least facially it looks like a quite 'severe' impact vs. a land short of runway/slide/breakup sort of thing.

Again, who knows what that video represents, just an initial impression knowing nothing else.

Comment

Updated to 55 passengers and 6 crew.

Windshear/Microburst?
            Fuel Starvation? (Would seem unlikely given the size of the explosion)
            Crew Disorientation?

Comment

Here is an aerial of what I believe to be the airport in question. The news (for what its worth) indicate that the a/c impacted very near to one end of runway...perhaps some of you who are vastly more knowledgeable than me can figure out the winds and which direction it would have been landing, and pehaps the POV of the 'video' that is the alleged crash, i.e., where the video might have been more or less taken from?

Click image for larger version

Name:	AIRPORT.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	1015128

Slightly larger version...

Click image for larger version

Name:	AIRPORT2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	661.9 KB
ID:	1015129

Comment

The angle looks really steep on the video. Doesn't look like a botched landing at all. How come they still have so much fuel on board? Circling for two hours after a six hour flight..? Why not divert to another airport?

Comment

On the video it seems to be in flames before crashing, right?
                  Also the descending speed seems to be very fast for a landing.
                  Only asumptions of course, the video doesn't show anything clear.

Comment

It seems to drop like a stone with very little forward speed. I think that the descending light is landing lights rather than fire. Windshear/microburst as first guess for me.

Whatever the cause let all those lost Rest In Piece.
                    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Keep in mind that this is Russia and that video could be a hoax.

Comment

Wikipedia says (pointing to FR24 as the source) that
                        After reaching the altitude of 4,050 ft (1,230 m), it began a rapid descent with a vertical speed reaching more than 21,000 ft/min
                        if thats the case, it doesn't sound like windshear. It sounds like Tatarstan flight 363.
                        I assume video is not showing a fire before crash, those are probably just the landing lights.
                        Last edited by hongmng; 2016-03-19, 20:40.

Comment

Wing strike reported here:
                          Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                            It seems to drop like a stone with very little forward speed. I think that the descending light is landing lights rather than fire. Windshear/microburst as first guess for me.
                            If the video 1) Is genuine as Evan questions and 2) is what it seems to be (steep crash) and not biased by perspective...

...we might be seeing the plane after scraping the wing, [parlour talk]then taking back to the air (desperate control inputs and/or something to do with physics/bent airfoils/whatever), then in a damaged/not-so-controllable state it plummets back to the ground as the video seems to show.[/parlour talk]

Just trying to make sense of a video that raises questions.

FDR data at this stage of the game...huwuh?
                            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Much talk of the video being Tartarstan 363, not Flydubai. That video is utterly incompatible with a wing strike.
                              Edit: but so is the wreckage. I have never seen a plane reduced to such little bits. Even Lockerbie had bigger chunks.
                              Last edited by ultraflight; 2016-03-19, 16:33. Reason: Forgot something

Comment

Working...
                              X