Airline pilot threatened to kill 200 passengers if wife left him

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airline pilot threatened to kill 200 passengers if wife left him

An Italian pilot who warned his estranged wife that he would crash his passenger jet if she left him was stopped by police from taking the controls of a Rome-Japan flight minutes before it was due to take off.

Officers at Fiumicino airport were alerted by the man’s wife after he sent her a text message threatening to kill himself and the 200 passengers on board. The incident, which has been kept secret until now, occurred in January last year — two months before Andreas Lubitz, a German pilot, deliberately crashed his Germanwings A320 into the Alps, killing 149 passengers and crew.

The Italian pilot is in his 40s but has not been named. He was married with children, and already known to police in Padua, Italy, after his wife reported him for mistreatment. When she announced she was leaving him, he threatened to commit suicide. When that failed to convince her to change her mind, he sent the text saying he would kill himself as well as the passengers on his flight that night.

She immediately contacted police, who alerted officials at Fiumicino airport. A substitute pilot was given control of the flight, with the passengers left unaware of the switch.

The pilot was suspended and is still undergoing psychiatric evaluation, Italian media reported yesterday. The airline concerned has not been named

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/w...cle4706798.ece
    AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
    the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Probably Alitalia.
    AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
    the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

Originally posted by James Bond View Post
      What a wimp. I remember a captain I flew with a number of years ago. He saw three pilots he knew at a table and went over to say hello. When he came back, he commented that between the three of them, the count of current and ex-wives came out to 21. Some guys just haven't broken the code that if it flies, floats, or.... ah... it's cheaper to rent. That being said, most airline pilots have one airline and a string of failed marriages. I, on the other hand, am an anomaly: I have one marriage and a string of failed airlines!
      The "keep my tail out of trouble" disclaimer: Though I work in the airline industry, anything I post on here is my own speculation or opinion. Nothing I post is to be construed as "official" information from any air carrier or any other entity.

Comment

Originally posted by snydersnapshots View Post
        I, on the other hand, am an anomaly: I have one marriage and a string of failed airlines!
        I'm even more of an anomaly. Airline #3, still single.

Comment

Working...
        X