Planes collide and don't crash into the sea in Detroit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planes collide and don't crash into the sea in Detroit

Not much to see here. I just thought it would evolve into a debate about FBW...

Two planes collide on the ground at an airport in Detroit but there are no reports of any injuries.

This would have not happened if the 2 planes were A320s intead of 737s...

... because the winglets of the A320 are tiny and the 737 had FBW (Freaking Big Winglets).

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
      This would have not happened if the 2 planes were A320s intead of 737s...

... because the winglets of the A320 are tiny and the 737 had FBW (Freaking Big Winglets).
      There you go.

But... hmmm... now that planes like the 787 have TBW (tiller by wire), and your average BMW or Mercedes can drive and park itself with collision-avoidance radar, shouldn't we be seeing 'ground protections' on these new aircraft?

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
        There you go.

But... hmmm... now that planes like the 787 have TBW (tiller by wire), and your average BMW or Mercedes can drive and park itself with collision-avoidance radar, shouldn't we be seeing 'ground protections' on these new aircraft?
        Perhaps a wingtip camera would be enough.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
          Not much to see here. I just thought it would evolve into a debate about FBW...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35597607
          ...What's scary is that what I'm about to say is right in line with the attempt at humor, as well as being just a little bit dead on true.

There goes Evan again, seeing computers as the only cure...Isn't this a CLASSIC example of human factors, and basic fundamentals?...

Fundamental rule...don't run one thing into another...go slow...have folks WATCH...

Human factors...You got six guys (or was it 12 in this case) that are normally watching this type of operation...It should not happen...EVER...it is indeed an eye-roller.

More training? Like the rampies are under trained? Like they have no idea how the system works? Like they have no ability to see that the wing tips are gonna hit, like they need a FCOMQRHPOH checklist- if you estimate the clearance at less than 5 feet...stop...

Puppy mill curriculum where they focus on acronyms and not fundamentals....was someone too focused on the automatic controls of the tug?

Develop all the procedures and computer stuff you want...we're just going to have to deal with the occasional 10,000+ ft stall and the occasional busted winglet.

I blame generation X.
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post

I blame generation X.
            Indeed. Brace yourself for Millenial rampies.

But what makes you so sure they're were rampies involved. This could have happened out on a taxiway (it has in the past). I think even if these guys had wingtip cameras the issue is still pilot inattention (pilot distraction) so they might be just as inattentive towards a wing camera. But a wingtip proximity detector? Beep beep beep... that would get your attention. A tiller-limiting function on TBW (perhaps along with autobrakes), that would prevent these things. And "RADIUS TRAFFIC CONFLICT..." All the tech is out there...

Comment

Working...
            X