Iran orders 118 Airbuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iran orders 118 Airbuses

I'm surprised no one brought this up yet.

Congrats to both parties

a personal question that I can't find an answer to elsewhere: with most of the US Republican candidates threatening to "tear up" the Iran deal if elected, will these new aircraft orders be at risk in the event of a Republican becoming president? No political opinions here, just a curious question...

Quite a lot of the Airbus aircraft use USA made equipment. The CFM engine company is part owned by General Electric. I doubt Europe will tear up the agreement.

Comment

Originally posted by Highkeas View Post
      Quite a lot of the Airbus aircraft use USA made equipment. The CFM engine company is part owned by General Electric. I doubt Europe will tear up the agreement.
      Why even stop there, "Get a piece of the pie" was Boeing's motto to the issue;

"Boeing Co. said Friday that it received a license from the U.S. government to begin commercial discussions with Iranian airlines, opening the door to what could be the first U.S. jet deliveries to the Islamic Republic since the 1970s."
      http://www.wsj.com/articles/boeing-s..._us_business_f
      N.B. Other articles behind paywalls explicitly state that G.E. has also received the similar licenses for engines, and other maintenance related contracts/parts et al..., thus both are strongly in the game.

Thus leading to;
      "Iran is interested to buy Boeing 737 from the US air craft manufacturer, Asghar Fakhrieh Kashan, Iran’s deputy transport minister said. Basically the Boeing 737 is a proper plane for Iran, however the Iranian airlines will make decision, Fakhrieh Kashan said, Iran’s Tasnim news agency reported Feb. 24. He further confirmed that the US aircraft manufacture has expressed readiness to start talks with Iran. “Two days ago, Boeing offered to negotiate with Iran and we will definitely negotiate with them on buying aircraft,” the Iranian official said." http://en.trend.az/iran/business/2499204.html
      So, things are heating up!

Now, with the doubly fortunate timings of;
      1). Boeing offering rock bottom prices (reputedly 70% off list prices for the recent 737-700 order for UA) in order to bridge the production gap between the 737NG and the 737MAX production lines
      and
      2). Iran needing aircraft quickly, and the 737NG lines are going to be an incredibly efficient jump forward for carriers like IR who already have a largely Boeing trained staff. The training would be great, and arriving at a pool of 737 pilots is not going to be difficult if you require well trained ones (or middle-of-the-road trained ones...) on the international market (if you pay them well-ish).

So, I assume a large 737 order to be placed - decent pricing, and a large order to make both Boeing and Iran happy.

What would be interesting, though, is to see if the CSeries can sustain an order as well? If the Iranians specifically go after the 737-700, it could well damage any hope for a CSeries order (which would benefit Iranian-Canadian relations, as much as it will do with the other deals).
      Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Working...
      X