What's it doing now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's it doing now?

We can debate whether computers should drive or humans should drive, or if humans are even needed...

...BUT, if the CURRENT PLAN calls for a HUMAN, but then THE AUTOMATION TAKES OVER...we have a problem.

AND, Engineers (the designer kind) still have their FUBAR's, so I think I do like having a human around, ALONG with a robust system to be sure that neither one can do too much without the other's approval!
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
    We can debate whether computers should drive or humans should drive, or if humans are even needed...

...BUT, if the CURRENT PLAN calls for a HUMAN, but then THE AUTOMATION TAKES OVER...we have a problem.

AND, Engineers (the designer kind) still have their FUBAR's, so I think I do like having a human around, ALONG with a robust system to be sure that neither one can do too much without the other's approval!
    It is very difficult if not impossible to protect a system against intentional, criminal wrongdoing. If the dead-man switch was tempered with as the article seems to imply:
    She also said investigators are looking into reports from riders that a cord appeared to be wrapped around an accelerator in the operator's cab.

"It would be a prohibited act if in fact there was any type of cord that was wrapped in that manner," she said.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
      It is very difficult if not impossible to protect a system against intentional, criminal wrongdoing. If the dead-man switch was tempered with as the article seems to imply:
      Also noted in the article was that the trains used to have two operators. Cue up CRM discussions and Flight Engineer discussions and Cape Airways and their 1-pilot routes and Beech 1900's with steam gauges and autopilots and Airbusses with magenta lines...
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Those trains have about the same level of automation as a DC-3! Less actually, if the DC-3 you're thinking about has an autopilot.

And I'm not 100% sure of this but I think those trains originally had one operator per car! Try operating a 747-100 (which coincidentally was a current model when most of the red line cars were built) with a cockpit crew of one and let me know how that works out...
        Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Working...
        X