Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Bull racer Mike Mangold killed in jet trainer crash.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Bull racer Mike Mangold killed in jet trainer crash.

Terrible news from San Bernardino County....

Mike Mangold, 60, of Victorville, California has been identified as the pilot of the small jet that went down after taking off around 2pm at the Apple Valley Airport in San Bernardino County.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Wow.

Mike sounds like about as well-qualified a pilot as you'd find anywhere... it'll be interesting to find out what happened.
    Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

This is not the time to be making smartarse comments gentlemen. Remember, a legendary pilot lost his life, a wife became a widow and two kids lost their father. An as yet unnamed second person also died.

The last two comments really disappoint me.
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
        This is not the time to be making smartarse comments gentlemen. Remember, a legendary pilot lost his life, a wife became a widow and two kids lost their father. An as yet unnamed second person also died.

The last two comments really disappoint me.
        Hm. Could there be a difference between anonymous "post gatherers" (that's how I call them, regardless of age) and
        men who have seen one or two things in life?

Two things that strike me, and I have not read the whole article yet.
        1. The Aero L-39 must be a good bird. Let me compare it to my avatar. But there is a difference. The 747 performed her first flight in 1969, and the development does not stop, not until today. 747SP, 742, 743, B744, B748i, ... Is it the same with L-39, constantly redeveloped? The L-39 performed her first flight in 1968...
        Technical failure is a hard word, and it arouses a lot of "interest", everytime I use it.

But this pilot is not the source of the crash, in my eyes. 11,000 flight hours in a variety of jets, beginning with the 727 and not ending with the 767. What a shame that he's dead now.
        A moment of silence.

2. You can have a good newspaper, with good comments. And you can have a brilliant website with bad comments. Seems like we have to accept that.
        The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
        The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
        And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
        This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Well obviously the final report should tell us what happened.

While the pilot was clearly very talented and experienced, everyone makes mistakes from time to time and he could have done that too.

Or as you say there could have been some sort of mechanical failure. But even that could be human error: a lock wire inadvertently left off a nut, the wrong lubricant causing accelerated wear resulting in failure of a component... there are thousands of possibilities.
          Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Working...
          X