Vignetting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vignetting

Until Friday, I had never, ever heard of vignetting. I see that it is a new rejection reason. Had to go look up what it is. It seems to be something rarely mentioned on both JP and A.net.

So from what I can tell after searching various photography sites, it is a result of any digital camera, some more than others, but there is no way to prevent it from happening. I spent the last two days trying to edit one photo and fix it, and have found it is impossible. There is simply no way to edit it without it looking like garbage unless perhaps going pixel by pixel, which is obviously not going to happen. Maybe if I had the recent, full version of Photoshop, but that's more than I can really afford for the small amount I am able to shoot.

And the whole "Vignetting not allowed" sorta makes it sound like the photographer was trying pull a fast one and sneak in a bad photo. Reminds of when I did too much editing once on some photos, and got a note that said continued use of such "digital manipulation" would result in a ban. Perhaps that could be reworded a bit.

Since I see no way to avoid this problem or fix it with the software I have, and an 80% or higher rejection rate is a waste of everyone's time, I guess I'm probably done shooting and uploading until I find some why to get back to my previous acceptance levels.

The only thing that actually changed is that instead of rejecting a picture for "over proc" or "quality" with a note saying "vignetting on corners" we now have a specific reason to select - but the standards and screening didn't change at all - picture with strong vignetting have always been rejected

Regards
    Alex

Comment

Vignetting is normally easily fixed using the software supplied with your camera and most other processing software. What software do you use ?
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by Alex - Spot-This ! View Post
        The only thing that actually changed is that instead of rejecting a picture for "over proc" or "quality" with a note saying "vignetting on corners" we now have a specific reason to select - but the standards and screening didn't change at all - picture with strong vignetting have always been rejected

Regards
        Alex
        I didn't mean to imply the standards changed; but for whatever reason, that rejection burned through almost everything I had in the queue. And "vignetting on corners" sounds a lot better.

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
        Vignetting is normally easily fixed using the software supplied with your camera and most other processing software. What software do you use ?
        Photoshop Elements 10. It's always been enough for me, especially given the cost of full PS. I talked yesterday with my company founder who is into photography about a million times more than I am. He shoots with two Canon EOS-1DX, a 70-200mm on one and the new version of the 100-400mm on the other. He is well published and has even had photos on the cover of several magazines. He travels about 15-20 times a year to events. He does sports photography so vignetting has never really impacted his photos, but he knew what it was. He has the latest Photoshop and we found where the feature is, but I have not found it in PSE10. It might be a feature they left out. I'll download the trial of the new PS to go through everything I have left to upload. After that, not sure since the subscription is kind of a waste given how little I get to go shooting.

Sorry for the late reply. A coworker decided he needed to share the flu with the company and it put me out all last week. I haven't really had the strength to get online until today. And I got a flu shot 6 weeks ago.

Comment

Just a few tips:
          • Just close the aperture ~2 stops and that should avoid vignetting. I.e. if you have a 70-300mm f4-5.6, then try f/6.3 or even better f/8 instead. If you get a photo rejected for vignetting but the photo was shot at f/8, please appeal it.
          • Using lenses for full frame cameras: Cameras with crop factor will show less vignetting than full frame cameras.
          • Lenses for cameras with crop factor (on Canon for example EF-S-Lenses) will show more vignetting.
          • I for one don't want to encourage photographers to invest loads of money to get a photo accepted. Instead of buying Photoshop, try the software which came with your camera. For a first conversion and reducing vignetting, they're certainly good enough. You can still do the whole fine tuning in your standard photo editor.

There are probably more tips ... I just forgot them right now

If you have any questions, here we are.
          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Most cameras have an internal vignetting correction for jpgs are allow vignetting correction of RAW files with the free RAw converters.

Comment

Here's a link to a tutorial for lens correction in Elements 10. Vignetting is dealt with in section 3, second one down.
              From the massive daguerreotype camera first built in 1839 to the mini digital cameras of today, photography has come a long way. Learn more about this fantastic hobby and profession with our up-to-date articles.

Comment

Thanks, Brian. Guess I didn't look hard enough. I pulled any photo which could have the issue for now and will start going through them and see if I can get them fixed once I upload everything else in my pending folder.

Comment

Well, after spending countless hours trying to fix the 60+ photos that were rejected or I knew would be rejected, it was all for naught. Still all being rejected for "vignetting not allowed" but now they are also rejected for "over processing" and "too much noise/grain."

So basically my photos are worthless and I do not see anyway to fix them. It has never, ever been a problem until the last few months. Anyone want to buy a Canon 7d?

Comment

What name do you upload as ?

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                      What name do you upload as ?
                      My login is the same as on the forum.

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

I have tried Photoshop and Lightroom using the free 30-day trial, (Gimp doesn't seem to like my RAW files), along with a few other programs on trials as well. The result is always the same. I either remove the vignetting, but the image looks like a scanned slide from the 1990s with massive grain, or I cannot remove enough to get it accepted. Funny, it seems like pictures taken in low light do not have any issues, just the ones taken when the sun is out, which of course is 90% or more of what I shoot.

I even worked with my company's founder as he has been doing photography since before I was born. He travels about 15 times a year to sporting events, shoots with the EOS 1D-X, and is well published including magazine covers. He might even be shooting at the Olympics this year if he can swing a press pass. Like most of us here, it's just his hobby. Even he couldn't do a better job of editing, and he has used every version of Photoshop since it first came out. Sure I might be able to salvage one or two more out of the 60 or so I haven't uploaded or that got rejected, but it's not worth the time or effort. At this point all I can do is try to figure out if by some chance I can change a camera setting(s) to prevent/reduce it enough, or perhaps zoom out enough to allow me to simply crop it out. If the only solution is a different camera and/or lens, I'm sorry out of luck.

Comment

I looked through the rejects that involved vignetting and it seems that you are going too far with your vignetting control. The corners are going too light. Most vignetting presents as dark corners and the adjustment needed to even it out is quite critical. Once you think you have fixed a vignetting problem take a look at the equalised image. If you see lighter corners then you have gone too far.

Comment

Working...
                        X