Russian plane crashes over Egypt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian plane crashes over Egypt

A Russian plane carrying over 220 people from Egypt to Russia disappeared from radars, and crashed in central Sinai, according to Russian and Egyptian authorities.

Live updates: https://www.rt.com/news/320225-plane...russian-egypt/

Comment

BBC website: 09:05
      Egypt's Civil Aviation authority has confirmed the plane has been found down in the Hassana area, south of Arish, Sinai.

The plane was flying at an altitude of 31,000ft when it vanished from radar screens,the statement adds, according to Reuters.

Comment

News reports are saying that at 31,000 feet it was too high to be hit by a ground launched missile.

Only one comment from me on that.....

MH17. 33,000 feet.

RIP all involved.
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

The area certainly fits the "conflict" description, but I doubt whether there are any ground-to-air missiles stationed in the area. They are not allowed under the Camp David agreement. Egypt has been using F-16's against the Islamists though, who may have gotten hold of some AA weaponry. But shooting down an airliner at that altitude requires a sophisticated system. The wreckage will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by ultraflight View Post
            ...But shooting down an airliner at that altitude requires a sophisticated system...
            Would it be hijacking the tread if I mentioned my $99 drone...
            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
              Would it be hijacking the tread if I mentioned my $99 drone...
              At 31,000 feet ? Yes, Hijack would cover it.....Unless of course it was some nutter who did just that ?
              But as Ultraflight says, the wreckage will tell all.
              If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

The wreckage description and the alleged facts don't suggest another missile attack. They are saying that the pilot reported engine trouble and requested a return, followed by lost coms and a 6000fpm descent. The wreckage is in two main pieces. To me, that sounds like a controlled emergency descent and a botched attempt at a controlled landing on terrain. Perhaps another uncontained engine failure and decompression leading to control-surface failure...

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                  The wreckage description and the alleged facts don't suggest another missile attack. They are saying that the pilot reported engine trouble and requested a return, followed by lost coms and a 6000fpm descent. The wreckage is in two main pieces. To me, that sounds like a controlled emergency descent and a botched attempt at a controlled landing on terrain......
                  To me that sounds the exact opposite : an uncontrolled descent.

Comment

Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
                    To me that sounds the exact opposite : an uncontrolled descent.
                    That would end in a high-speed impact. How do you get two main pieces of wreckage out of that?

There may have been some loss of control... 6000fpm doesn't indicate a dive however.

Comment

Reuters quotes an Egyptian Offical involved in the ongoing rescue operation, that the aircraft has broken up in two major parts, a small part being the tail plane caught fire, the other larger part impacted a rock. Bodies still belted to their seats are around the crash site, around 100 bodies have so far been recovered, the rest still inside the wreckage, however, there are also voices heard from inside a part of the wreckage.
                      Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                        That would end in a high-speed impact. How do you get two main pieces of wreckage out of that?

There may have been some loss of control... 6000fpm doesn't indicate a dive however.
                        I don't know for sure of course, but a rapid descent and wreckage in two distinct parts doesn't sound like a controlled landing attempt, or even a crash landing for that matter. But we will see.

Comment

Argentinian newspapers on-line, quoting Egyptian authorities, are now saying that "it was confirmed that there were no survivors, after initial hopes triggered by reports that there were voices heard from below the wreckage".

Better not to think about the possibility that both versions may be true.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                            Argentinian newspapers on-line, quoting Egyptian authorities, are now saying that "it was confirmed that there were no survivors, after initial hopes triggered by reports that there were voices heard from below the wreckage".

Better not to think about the possibility that both versions may be true.
                            I read a media report that ringing cell phones could be heard. Calls from friends/relatives maybe?

Comment

Perhaps an ISIL sympathizer placed a bomb on the aircraft to protest Russian involvement in Syria.

Comment

Working...
                              X