Russian plane crashes over Egypt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Quench View Post
    I wonder if an attacker used a small device intending to boost the power by detonating over the centre fuel tank would there be much explosive evidence?
    Avianca Flt 203. A bomb placed near the fuel tank exploded at 13,000 feet. The blast ripped the airliner apart: the nose section separated from the tail section, which went down in flames.
    In January 1990 Whitehurst identified RDX and PETN high explosives on a specimen from a portion of the aircraft. He wrote a report (dictation), which was approved by MAU Chief James Corby and was sent to Hahn who included it verbatim in one of his two reports. In his other report Hahn noted that a portion of the aircraft skin bore pitting and cratering unique to high explosives. Hahn concluded that an explosive device with a relatively small amount of high explosives functioned on board the aircraft, causing a breach of the fuselage and other parts of the aircraft, a fire, and a fuel-air explosion that caused the aircraft to break apart.

Comment

• "Russia has banned incoming flights by Egypt's state-owned airline, a senior Russian diplomat and an official of Moscow's Domodedovo airport said on Friday, two weeks after a Russian jet crash in Sinai that Islamist militants claimed to have caused."
      http://news.yahoo.com/russia-bans-fl...BSXzEEc2VjA3Nj
      And so the fallout continues. Sure, it's not a very popular destination/route for Egyptair - but a ban outright is harsh, if not necessary.
      Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

• BREAKING: Russia confirm aircraft was destroyed by explosive device.
        AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
        the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

• On Nov 17th 2015 the website of Russia's President issued a summary of a meeting conducted on Nov 16th 2015, during which the director of Russia's Federal Security Service stated: "Mr President, we have studied the passengers’ personal belongings and luggage and fragments of the plane that crashed in Egypt on October 31. An expert examination of all these objects has found traces of foreign-made explosives. According to our experts, a self-made explosive device equivalent up to 1 kg of TNT was set off on board, which explains why the fragments of the aircraft were scattered over a large area. We can say with confidence that this was a terrorist act." The website continues quoting the President: "We will act in compliance with Article 51 of the United Nations Charter, which envisages the right of a state to self-defence. Whoever tries to help the perpetrators ought to know that they would bear full responsibility for any attempts to harbour them. I would like all our special services to focus on this work."
          Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Reports on radio in Oz that 2 airport workers have been detained

Comment

• And an online link http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stories/2015/11/18/egypt-detains-airport-staff-over-jet-crash--report.html

Comment

• I think this should be taken with a bit of skepticism until it is confirmed by the BEA. The bomb scenarios plays right into Putin's objectives and Russian officials tend to have a strange relationship with the truth.

Comment

• Just a thought here... More passengers died here than on TWA 800. It seems to be getting forgotten pretty quickly in comparison.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
                    I think this should be taken with a bit of skepticism until it is confirmed by the BEA. The bomb scenarios plays right into Putin's objectives and Russian officials tend to have a strange relationship with the truth.
                    really?!?!? you must be the ony one that thinks this was caused by ANYTHING other than a bomb.

what exactly is putin's objective? for once the ruskies have intervened on the side of right in the war (laughable) against isis.

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                      really?!?!? you must be the ony one that thinks this was caused by ANYTHING other than a bomb.

what exactly is putin's objective? for once the ruskies have intervened on the side of right in the war (laughable) against isis.
                      Are you joking? Putin's objective is to prop up his dictatorial friend Assad by crushing the non-jihadist rebels. Of course he will also have to deal with ISIS and Al Qaeda, but up til now he hasn't been too interested in them. A bomb finding here will help him politically to get Russian troops on the ground in Syria in defense of Assad. If that happens, my guess is that they will be directed at the moderate rebels and not the extremists.

Comment

Are you joking? Putin's objective is to prop up his dictatorial friend Assad by crushing the non-jihadist rebels. Of course he will also have to deal with ISIS and Al Qaeda, but up til now he hasn't been too interested in them. A bomb finding here will help him politically to get Russian troops on the ground in Syria in defense of Assad. If that happens, my guess is that they will be directed at the moderate rebels and not the extremists.
                        i'm not convinced putin is propping anyone up. assad is non-jihadi as is his army. russia joined in the fight AGAINST isis, not against the non-jihadis, which are assad's forces.

i could care less how much of an ass assad is. we are making the same mistake we made with saddam. we will create another power vacuum which will be filled by yet more isis like shitheads.

Comment

A bomb finding here will help him politically to get Russian troops on the ground in Syria in defense of Assad.
                          By that logic, Putin could have ordered the FSB to put the bomb onboard and carry out a false-flag attack. But it's still a bomb.

But how far can this conspiracy go? What about the Paris attacks? I don't think any of these events were organized by anyone else than the terrorists/ISIL. I'm not sure a bomb by ISIL is what serves Putin's interests the most. I think he would much rather prefer a bomb from the non-ISIL, non-Al Nusra "moderate" rebels. Russia's attacks on them are publicized and criticized, so blaming the crash on them would have worked out perfectly. An ISIL-organized attack could be a politically less-favorable outcome, because there has been criticism towards Russia for concentrating its attacks on predominantly non-ISIL rebels. This way, an ISIL bomb maybe adds some humiliation to the tragedy, almost mocking Putin's strategy. Of course, Russia could still send troops in Syria under the pretext of the ISIL threat, and continue to fight mostly the moderate rebels. It also makes sense that ISIL would want to bomb a Russian jet - they would attack anyone who supports the Assad regime, as Assad is a sworn enemy for all militants in Syria, including ISIL.

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                            i'm not convinced putin is propping anyone up. assad is non-jihadi as is his army. russia joined in the fight AGAINST isis, not against the non-jihadis, which are assad's forces.

i could care less how much of an ass assad is. we are making the same mistake we made with saddam. we will create another power vacuum which will be filled by yet more isis like shitheads.

Did Russia join the fight against ISIS, or did Russia join the fight in support of Assad? There is a difference. Not all rebels are ISIS, or jihadis. What unites them is their intolerance for the Assad regime, who is after all a dictator. Then you have the Kurds, who are definitely not jihadis, and who were the first ones to stop and defeat ISIS. Why isn't Russia helping them instead of Assad?

I can see the logic in your Iraq analogy. Iraq was definitely mess. I'm not going to comment on Iraq, but I would like to point out that Syria is completely different - instead of as a consequence of toppling down the dictator, the "power vacuum" seems to have arisen because of the support given to the dictator. Assad is very important to Russia for many reasons, and Russia has an immense interest to keep Assad in control in Syria. At the same time, the West didn't do anything and just watched as a full-blown civil war developed. Many experts on ISIS, including people who have traveled to Syria and tried to study ISIS would tell you that the conditions became favorable for ISIS in Syria when the militants fighting Assad got no support, and eventually became radicalized during the civil war. Saudi Arabia, and maybe others stepped in and offered them their support, and that's how anti-Assad militants became ISIS.
                            So I would say that keeping Assad in control is what made things bad in Syria. Don't forget Iran, where an islamic revolution took place also because of outside support for a ruler who was disliked. Not everything is like Iraq.

Comment

• Photo of the type of explosive device used according to ISIS:
                              ISIS released a picture Wednesday of what it said was the improvised bomb that brought down the Russian Metrojet plane over Egypt's Sinai Peninsula last month.

For reference a 222 ml soda can would contain 0.38 kg of PETN or similar explosive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Highkeas View Post
                                Photo of the type of explosive device used according to ISIS:
                                ISIS released a picture Wednesday of what it said was the improvised bomb that brought down the Russian Metrojet plane over Egypt's Sinai Peninsula last month.

For reference a 222 ml soda can would contain 0.38 kg of PETN or similar explosive.
                                ISIS doesn't need to mess around with PETN. In the reckless 2003 invasion of Iraq, US forces left 80 tons of Iraqi RDX and HMX unguarded and it disappeared. You can bet ISIS has a few tons of that. That's enough high-explosive to take down every plane in the sky, every day for a hundred years. .38kg of HMX would more than do the job. Well done Mr. Rumsfeld. Mission accomplished Mr. Bush.

Comment

Working...
                                X