Pilot Incapacitation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Evan View Post
    ...as 3WE will reassure us, can also be dealt with using basic airmanship in most cases where pilot error does not play a fatal role. And in most jets these days, there is ECAM or EICAS to help you along...

I have a question: in this scenario is it permissable (or advisable) to have one of the cabin crew sit in the observer seat to run checklists with the remaining pilot? I think it is always good to have a pair of minds checking off the essentials and it would take some stress off the isolated pilot...
    What I will assure you is that the single pilot in the Cape Airways plane deals with a whole shit pot more stuff than a two crew jetliner, yet is certified to try not to kill me....

The subject of a dead heading pilot coming up to monitor has been brought up before... the guys who actually do this for a living felt it brought some dangers and would not be worth it, as I recall.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

That seems like a waste of sim time to me. In any sim scenario, you have a pilot flying and a pilot monitoring. If one pilot becomes incapacitated, you only lose the pilot monitoring. This increases the workload for the pilot flying but doesn't impede his ability to fly the plane. AFIAK the SOP is simply to divert to the nearest serviceable airport and request medical services.

The danger lies in the potential for something unexpected to arise that involves CRM procedure and now must be improvised by a lone pilot. That increases the risk of pilot error but, as 3WE will reassure us, can also be dealt with using basic airmanship in most cases where pilot error does not play a fatal role. And in most jets these days, there is ECAM or EICAS to help you along...

I have a question: in this scenario is it permissable (or advisable) to have one of the cabin crew sit in the observer seat to run checklists with the remaining pilot? I think it is always good to have a pair of minds checking off the essentials and it would take some stress off the isolated pilot.
      Tee real danger is if it happens in a critical phase of flight with the flying pilot manually flying the plane, like take-off, last part of the approach and landing.

Yes, it is trained in the sim and I remember a story of an FO that didn't pass the checkride when his virtual plane crashed when he abandoned his duty to help the captain who, in the middle of the take-off run, had slumped on the controls next to him.

His point was that he believed that the captain had an actual medical emergency and that he knew that he was in a simulation so a virtual crash would not damage anything or anybody.

And yes, it is typical that someone will occupy the empty seat. Pilots ask if there is a pilot in the plane, because a pilot can help with the radio comms.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post
        That's not much time for the PM to identify that there's a problem, gain an understanding of the nature of the problem, possibly deal with something like a person slumped over the controls, orient himself to the sudden change in role, and assume control of the airplane.
        Originally posted by 3WE
        I find 150 lbs of limp humanity slumped over the controls a bit disturbing, potentially interfereing with the grand ultimate fundamental memory checklist item #1: Aviate. (Type specific exceptions for the B-737-236A acknowledged)
        Ok, let's assume that people don't simply drop dead instantly most of the time. For instance, a pilot having a heart attack is going to have chest pains and difficulty breathing before he loses consciousness. There is time for the other pilot to take command. Sure, there are certain, very rare instances when a person might lose consciousness without warning, but come on...

Originally posted by 3WE
        Maybe the air Bus auto pilot can disregard 'all' control inputs- a potential plus for the tactile feedback killer.
        No, you move the stick beyond a certain threshold and the autopilot will disengage. If the incapacitated pilot is on the controls, the other one needs to hit the priority switch right away. Which brings me to...

Originally posted by Gabriel
        Yes, it is trained in the sim and I remember a story of an FO that didn't pass the checkride when his virtual plane crashed when he abandoned his duty to help the captain who, in the middle of the take-off run, had slumped on the controls next to him.
        I hadn't thought of that, but I can see the need to mentally train pilots to attend to the aviation part first and then their fallen comrade.

Comment

elaw - you may or may not be correct to say that cases of pilot incapacitation may have actually been cases of pilot suicide, though I doubt it in more than a handful of cases. However, there is no case whatever to support the notion that the BE548 captain was suicidal. It is well known that he had a serious heart condition prior to the accident and that stress arising from certain factors before this flight and most probably during the flight's 2-minute duration could well have led to a further heart-related event. Moreover, there were no factors whatever in the gentleman's life that remotely indicated a suicidal tendency.

Comment

I have lost count how many times in the back of my ambulance, and those of my colleagues a patient has suddenly and without any warning put their hand to their chest and dropped dead without a sound. It is not as uncommon as you might think.
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Ok, let's assume...
              - that people don't simply drop dead instantly most of the time. For instance, a pilot having a heart attack is going to have chest pains and difficulty breathing before he loses consciousness. There is time for the other pilot to take command. Sure, there are certain, very rare instances when a person might lose consciousness without warning, but come on...
              Lets assume that people don't forget that relentless pull ups don't lead to stalls.

That birds won't take out both engines

That the compressor parts won't take out all hydraulics

That guys won't shut down the good engine

That the rudder actuator won't go into reverse mode

Sure, there are certain, very rare instances, but come on

By the way, to reststate: most of our pros feel it best to complete the flight alone using automation, procedures and fundamentals.
              Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                Lets assume that people don't forget that relentless pull ups don't lead to stalls.
                You might want to take another minute with that one...

Comment

You might want to take another minute with that one...
                  Airbus logic...

Comment

PIC lost consciousness... apparently survived....

As per procedure, the F/O donned his 02 mask before diverting. Another thing to practice in the sim.

Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

Comment

Working...
                    X