Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cycling solo from Cairo to Cape Town - Fundraising

Hi!

I need your help. Next month I will begin cycling solo from Cairo, Egypt to Cape Town, South Africa. The trip will take over five months and I will cycle 12,000km through over ten countries... For the majority of the trip I will be camping in the wilderness and villages.

I know a lot of people will think I'm crazy for doing this, but if you know me, you know how much I love the continent. For those who don't know me (even if you do, you may not know) I suffered from depression for the majority of my teenage years and it's taken a long time to get everything back on track. Even though I have been well for many years, now seems like the perfect time to follow my dream of travelling through Africa.

I'll be fundraising for two amazing charities, War Child & Rethink Mental Illness.

You will be able to track my progress via GPS (similar to FlightRadar24)

If you would like more information on the trip, please visit...

Melde dich bei Facebook an, um dich mit deinen Freunden, deiner Familie und Personen, die du kennst, zu verbinden und Inhalte zu teilen.

All donations go to my chosen charities, not the funding of my trip. If you can't donate or don't want to, please think about passing the website on to friends/family.

Thanks!
    Sam

Next month means, in May 2015.

That is, in my eyes, a quite short period of time for a fundraising action.
    (3-5 weeks?!)

Let me see what I can give you. Psychological background, if everything else fails.

You are young enough. And you hopefully own a bicycle, which you have tested for, let's say, 62 US-miles on one single day.
    (I don't yet know the English word: eingerittener Sattel)

You are familiar with the African climate. You know how to cross the deserts.

Well, let me know three or four of the cities on your journey.
    Windhoek, Namibia?
    Most probably, I'll try to follow you, in my fav a/c of all times.
    The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
    The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
    And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
    This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Oh Sam.

Why didn't we start this topic 6 or 16 months before?!

We should talk about the route, which for a B744 is quite a different one than for a man on a bicycle.

For a B744, this is a flight of at least 3,896 nmi. And I can do it nonstop, i.e. I don't have to stop at Windhoek to refuel.

I am very curious about your route. Let us know some detail!

PS: Let me try to calculate the ETA. Departure ICAO HECA, + x nautical miles per day, not via B744, but via bicycle.
      Approx 10 nautical miles per hour if you are good in the Egyptian summer (let me mention this later).

So, let me promise you a limit of 100 nautical miles per day. What's the result of your calculation?

My result: At least 40 days, and only if you torture your bike 10 hrs per day, seven days a week. Well, you've got to be a healthy young man, and your photo says...

why not.
      Last edited by LH-B744; 2015-04-19, 02:06. Reason: ETA? How to calculate without fmc and via bicycle...

Comment

The weather in Cairo, Egypt,

this sunday.

Early in the morning: +13C, clear sky/sunny
        during lunch: +28C, sunny
        in the afternoon: +32C, and still sunny.

I know that this is not the perfect weather for a man on a bicycle.

This is not even perfect aviation weather (too hot in the afternoon).

But well, a 747 goes through it (air condition included).

And also a man on a bicycle wants to go through it (no air condition included).

Let me wish you all the very best, Sam.

Comment

I'm not fundraising in 3-5 weeks. I'll be in Africa for over 5 months, which is when people are more likely to donate towards my chosen charities.

Cairo - Khartoum - Addis Ababa - Nairobi - Entebbe - Kigali - Lilongwe - Lusaka - Windhoek - Cape Town are the major cities en-route.

Comment

Originally posted by RingwaySam View Post
            Cairo - Khartoum - Addis Ababa - Nairobi - Entebbe - Kigali - Lilongwe - Lusaka - Windhoek - Cape Town are the major cities en-route.
            Yikes!

Comment

Originally posted by RingwaySam View Post
              I'm not fundraising in 3-5 weeks. I'll be in Africa for over 5 months, which is when people are more likely to donate towards my chosen charities.

For over 5 months, i.e. I have a rough guess on which continent you are this friday. It's a good decision to bring time to Africa, it's definitely worth it!

Besides a humble pilot who comes from where I come from (*1966) there is another man who provides aviation in Africa and whom I'd like to meet one fine day.

Thilo Kaiser (a rough guess by me: *1959). What he does is relatively good described here:

[Request translation if needed.]

Africa. It's not yet Kaisers season (he said that March is the best month for his flights), but it is a continent that seems like a very good destination.

And indeed, he provides quite perfect video material for the South of Africa, à la bonne heure.

So, Africa is not really cold. Is it too hot in the South African summer (beginning in December 2015)?

PS: In this post, there were often mentioned the 1950's and 1960's. There is one big Hawaiian who celebrates his birthday since last tuesday. Hand up for Salute. And Congratulations from Germany.
              Last edited by LH-B744; 2015-08-07, 06:47. Reason: yob? There is one person, where we don't have to guess... ....

Comment

Let us know when you get back Sam. I need to get some details from you. Have fun....oh,......and don't wear a fur coat if there are any America dentists around !!!
                If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Working...
                X