Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote control tower

Why bother?

Leesburg, Virginia, is about to become the first airport in the United States with a remotely operated control tower. This summer, the Leesburg Executive Airport (JYO) will begin a 90-day trial of a system that has been in operation in Sweden since last fall.

The technology was developed by Swedish aerospace and defense giant Saab in cooperation with the country's air navigation service provider LFV. In September 2014, the Örnskölsvik Airport became the first airport in the world to be operated from a remote location. Controllers are located in a center in Sundsvall, about 60 miles away.

High definition cameras and pan-tilt-zoom cameras, surveillance and meteorological sensors, microphones, signal light guns and other devices located in Örnskölsvik send information to the Remote Tower Center (RTC) in Sundsvall, where controllers who receive the data on high-definition screens and other devices provide ATC services to the pilots flying into Örnskölsvik, as if they could see them out of their windows.

While similar equipment will be set up in Leesburg, the RTC will be located right at the airport during the test phase. The RTC will have multiple high-definition displays and two controller positions, the town of Leesburg announced. A Mobile Air Traffic Control Tower (MATCT) will also be operational during the test phase to ensure safety.

Read more at http://www.flyingmag.com/news/leesbu...uIu1e6RUFrL.99

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Because cheaper?

There's nothing more important that saving money, you know...
    Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Why in the hell do we need any people?

Put Bluetooth on ADSB and FMS and Autopilot and write up an I-pad App and it can provide the separation.
      Les rčgles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post
        Because cheaper?

There's nothing more important that saving money, you know...
        Of course, but cheaper how? Yes, you might have a bit less of building, but you have much more sensors, transmission, displays, and remote controls.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Salaries. It seems employers these days think that paying people to do work is a horrible awful thing to be avoided at all costs. Just ask any (employed) pilot...

Eric Law

Comment

Salaries. It seems employers these days think that paying people to do work is a horrible awful thing to be avoided at all costs. Just ask any (employed) pilot...
            What salaries? The tower is remote, not automated. It still has human ATCs in it.

Comment

True... but... I guess what I read into it is that if this test is a success (which I guess means nobody dies during the 90-day trial period) and this is put into place "for real", the controllers would be working multiple towers at once.

Otherwise what would be the point?

Eric Law

Comment

Otherwise what would be the point?
                That was my question!!!

Comment

True... but... I guess what I read into it is that if this test is a success (which I guess means nobody dies during the 90-day trial period) and this is put into place "for real", the controllers would be working multiple towers at once.
                  That's exactly the idea. Just like there are operators flying more than one drone at once.

Comment

like my mom used to say: it's all fun and games till someone loses an eye...

i'm sure someone is working on an app that will replace humans. after all, we know that Hal/George?Otto are FAR better than us mere mortals.

Comment

Working...
                    X