Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get the JP picture ID from a JP-saved image filename

Hello,

I posted this on the Site-Related category over 2 weeks ago and got no replies so far, so I'm trying here as well.

I was sent an image saved from jp.net from a colleague. How can I easily & quickly*** get the picture ID from the filename? There is no correlation it seems between the filename and ID, for example, for example, picture id 7877333, when saved as an image it is saved as 32537_1407318620.jpg.

Thanks and Cheers,
    Christos
    BHM

*** Yes, from the photographer's name one can eventually find the picture id, but it would be nice if there was some quicker way of getting it; airliners.net saves the images with the actual id which makes it easier and quicker.

AFAIK, there is no way to find the ID by the filename.
    My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
      AFAIK, there is no way to find the ID by the filename.
      Thank you for the quick answer.

I suspected so but thought I'd ask. Oh well!

Cheers,
      Christos

Comment

Saved filename feature request

I posted a new thread in the site related forum but I'm replying to this as well.

As we all know, if one is sent a saved pic from JP.net, there is no way to find the ID by the file name alone, because the save function uses some naming convention which has nothing to do with the pic ID, unlike Airliners.net which uses the ID as the file name.

That can result in spending unnecessary time and bandwidth waste (on both sides) if one wants to find that pic for whatever reason. It would be be nice and helpful if:

1. Either the ID gets included as a _suffix (or prefix_) to the current filename naming convention.

2. Or, since the filenames are already known and are likely in the db in some table somewhere linked by the ID, a query that can return the ID based on the file name. Maybe add it in the Advanced photo search page somewhare, maybe as a Keyword search?

BTW, while at it, in that page why can't you search by ID as a keyword? If one knew the ID, the only way I know to go directly to that pic is to display any other pic, then manually replace the ID in the URL. Is there another way?

Thanks and Cheers,
        Christos
        BHM

Comment

Did you try the Google Image Search? This should work as long as the picture in question is not a simple side on view with a blue background......
          http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=21893

Comment

Originally posted by arnie View Post
            Did you try the Google Image Search? This should work as long as the picture in question is not a simple side on view with a blue background......
            Well, GIS doesn't return filenames, it doesn't know of them because they are internal to the JP database. For example, if you open let's say this image:
            OH-LWA. Airbus A350-941. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

and rightclick on it and select "Save As", it will be saved to your hard drive as 81069_1444311615.jpg. A Google search for it wil not return anything.

Comment

But the filename is in that html document.
              http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=21893

Comment

Well, you would be right, IF the JP image display pages were static, but they are not, they are dynamic and get generated during browsing and are only "known" to your browser (until the window gets closed), so Google doesn't know anything about it, they can only index static pages.

To see what I mean, search for "81069_1444311615", the above mentioned filename; you will not get the image page, but you will get this thread, because it is a static page (all the JP forums are static pages), the image display pages are not.

Comment

Working...
                X