Seat Recline Wars and airline stupidity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
    Did they also bow to you and declare themselves most unworthy?
    No, but they were very grateful for the offer of assistance. A lot of doctors don't identify themselves when someone falls ill and the airlines know it. They are grateful to anyone who offers help.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
      EXCELLENT!

You've captured the gray area between "right and wrong", "the law", "traditional expectations," and "how the system is addressing (or stimulating) the problem".
      I don't know about the USA but in the UK a green light is listed in law as meaning "Proceed, if it is safe to do so"
      If it can be proven that you proceeded over a green light even though you knew, or could be reasonably expected as a rational human being to know that it was unsafe to proceed, then you can be held responsible for any resultant accident provided that the other party was acting in a manner such as would be expected of a rational human being.
      Deep breath !!
      Don't' cha just LOOOOVE the law ?

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
        ...But to get back to the subject of seat recline. I personally think that all seating systems with less than 34" seat pitch should be unreclineable...
        I hear the sound of crickets chirping .
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

...you proceeded over a green light even though you knew...Don't' cha just LOOOOVE the law ?
          You have dismissed the two critical points of Eric's analogy:

1) You don't know that it's unsafe.

2) It is customary everywhere to pass the green light with no particular risk of collision.

It's an analogy, you can't back-apply reality at will.
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

In the USA, the status of all traffic controls is "if you're in a hurry, ignore it".

If you happen to have important text messages or phone calls to deal with the "sphere of ignorance" expands to include other vehicles, pedestrians, and fixed objects.
            Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

He was actually lucky that the police took him away. I may not be the quickest human on two legs but I weigh 20 stone plus. I was of a mind to apply some personal punitive action outside of the airport. Trouble is....there might be a witness !!!
              Guys weighing 20+ stone usually fall pretty hard. I'm sure the "witness!!!" would find it quite comical.

Comment

Guys weighing 20+ stone usually fall pretty hard. I'm sure the "witness!!!" would find it quite comical.
                Many years ago, when I was 16 stone, six feet tall and all muscle I was taught certain skills by Her Majesties armed forces, skills that you don't forget. More importantly, skills that you knew when to use and when to walk away from using. I may have been a medic and not front line teeth arm, I may not have been SAS, SBS, Para or Marine and I may not have looked liked Stallone, Statham or De Niro but I can still look after myself if I need to. It's only happened twice in the last 30 years but both times my antagonist wound up in hospital with a VERY surprised look on his face.
                I am not a naturally violent person. I believe in being understanding of other people's needs and rights and I believe in acting in a reasonable, polite manner. I expect to be treated in the same way.
                That however does not mean that I won't use violence if I feel it is necessary, and more importantly that I will come out on top.
                I'm 66 years old and life has taught me to not be stupid.

Comment

Many years ago, when I was 16 stone, six feet tall and all muscle I was taught certain skills by Her Majesties armed forces, skills that you don't forget. More importantly, skills that you knew when to use and when to walk away from using. I may have been a medic and not front line teeth arm, I may not have been SAS, SBS, Para or Marine and I may not have looked liked Stallone, Statham or De Niro but I can still look after myself if I need to. It's only happened twice in the last 30 years but both times my antagonist wound up in hospital with a VERY surprised look on his face.
                  I am not a naturally violent person. I believe in being understanding of other people's needs and rights and I believe in acting in a reasonable, polite manner. I expect to be treated in the same way.
                  That however does not mean that I won't use violence if I feel it is necessary, and more importantly that I will come out on top.
                  I'm 66 years old and life has taught me to not be stupid.
                  You're a badass the likes of which are few and far between, we get it, thanks.

Comment

Not at all, there are hundreds and thousands, if not millions of folks like me, and theres no need to be a smartarse, it ill behoves you. All I'm saying is that, IF I HAVE TO, I can handle myself. I MUCH PREFER NOT to get into a fight and if I can I will avoid it whenever possible.
                    Now....stop being a smartarse twat !

Comment

If you are in fact a flight crew-member, I am willing to bet you are a real joy to fly with! You sound just like some of the new generation of F/O's that I deal with that have, A: No respect for their elders, and B: Absolutely no respect for the Captain. I call you children of entitlement, and I blame it all on your parents! When my father was still alive, even as an adult, if he ever heard me speak to an older man in the manner that you have addressed Brian the next thing I would have been doing is picking my ass up off of the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
                        If you are in fact a flight crew-member, I am willing to bet you are a real joy to fly with!
                        Ditto. Especially since you have no idea how old I am.

Comment

...the bigger question is Who is correct?

Sometimes young guys screw up, sometimes old guys screw up.

Modern CRM says you don't get your panties in a wad over respect as much as a trend for screwing up.

Comment

Modern CRM says you don't get your panties in a wad over respect...
                            Very true. Which is why I have no respect for those who take themselves just a tad too seriously. Whether they are a Captain, a janitor, or a 350lb retired paramagician is irrelevant.

Comment

Very true. Which is why I have no respect for those who take themselves just a tad too seriously. Whether they are a Captain, a janitor, or a 350lb retired paramagician is irrelevant.

Which is also why I am willing to bet you are a fairly junior F/O.

Comment

Modern CRM says you don't get your panties in a wad over respect as much as a trend for screwing up.

And in the book & paper world that is all fine and dandy. But when the shit hits the fan, it is hard to argue with 40 + years of experience.

Children of entitlement & of the magenta line!

Comment

Working...
                                X