Malaysia Airlines Loses Contact With 777 en Route to Beijing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by elaw View Post
    Are airline pilots trained to analyze people's personalities based on simulator data?
    No, but this is Les Abend, who referred to the recent Southwest incident as "catastrophic engine failure" instead of 'uncontained engine failure'. I guess it's a CNN thing.

Are airline pilots trained to analyze aviation incidents?

Comment

• Well I'm sure it was a catastrophe from two perspectives:
      1. The engine's.
      2. The accountants'

Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

• Where is Mr Abend? I haven't seen him for a long time...
        No, only a joke. I have never seen him.

Are airline pilots trained to analyze aviation incidents?
        Well. In terms that would be used by #2102 and #2101, I am a new Jetphotos member. But I didn't join the table at the age of 19 (bad excuse, I know).

Only a theory: let's think of, not a professional pilot, but an airliner pilot, which imho are two different things. Even aside his roster, it is important for him to care about
        safety for passengers.
        That's not impossible. Let me compare that to a very German institution, which is called "Kommissariat Vorbeugung.":

Police officers who don't wait until something has happened, but they try to help you and me.

Greetings to Mr Abend.
        The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
        The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
        And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
        This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

• Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
          Only a theory: let's think of, not a professional pilot, but an airliner pilot, which imho are two different things. Even aside his roster, it is important for him to care about
          safety for passengers.
          You think I fly differently when it is a cargo flight vs a passenger flight?

And on a sad note: http://atwonline.com/people/legendar...e208546a12b3fa

Comment

• Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
            You think I fly differently when it is a cargo flight vs a passenger flight?
            What, you never do this?
            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
              What, you never do this?
              Well Evan, They closed Kai Tak in July of 1998. So since then, the only time I hear "bank angle, bank angle" is doing steep turns in the simulator every 6 months.

Comment

• JFK Canarsie approach ?

Comment

• Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
                  JFK Canarsie approach ?

True that is. Haven't done that in years though. Pretty sure last time was in a 200

Comment

JFK Canarsie approach ?
                    Can't compare. Or you can: In the Canarsie approach you don't need to bank nearly as much as in Kai Tak, and you level the wings hundreds of feet above what you would do in Kai Tak.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                      Can't compare. Or you can: In the Canarsie approach you don't need to bank nearly as much as in Kai Tak, and you level the wings hundreds of feet above what you would do in Kai Tak.

All true. I think what HalcyonDays was trying to say was having a little fun on the approach. There was nothing like Kai Tak, at least anywhere I have ever been.

Comment

• Indeed. Nothing like Kai Tak for sure, especially scenically for the humble passenger, but in my regular passenger days I can recall some pretty sporty turns just a few hundred feet above the ground when lining up for the JFK 13s, especially 13L.

Comment

Indeed. Nothing like Kai Tak for sure, especially scenically for the humble passenger, but in my regular passenger days I can recall some pretty sporty turns just a few hundred feet above the ground when lining up for the JFK 13s, especially 13L.

And you can almost see the patients through the windows of the hospital when you fly over the top!

Comment

• Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
                            And you can almost see the patients through the windows of the hospital when you fly over the top!
                            I remember an approach to Kai Tak where I had to look up to see Mrs Wong hanging out her washing ! I would dearly love to experience an approach into there from the cockpit.
                            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

JFK Canarsie approach ?
                              That one is really nowhere near as big a deal as it's made out to be, especially since it was hardly ever in use in any but severe VFR conditions...

Comment

Indeed. Nothing like Kai Tak for sure, especially scenically for the humble passenger, but in my regular passenger days I can recall some pretty sporty turns just a few hundred feet above the ground when lining up for the JFK 13s, especially 13L.
                                I would have thought 13R would have been sportier (tighter turn), but what do I know? I only spent a mere four years based at JFK.

Comment

Working...
                                X