SIM vs Real World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIM vs Real World

so this is for the real pilots not simmers...

recently watched a youtube video of flight sim pre-flight and engine start in a 737. seemed pretty friggin realistic and thorough, but what do i know?

my question is for those real pilots that have played a sim game, what chance is there of an experienced simmer (as in game) properly pre-flighting and starting engines on a real world a/c?

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
    so this is for the real pilots not simmers...

recently watched a youtube video of flight sim pre-flight and engine start in a 737. seemed pretty friggin realistic and thorough, but what do i know?

my question is for those real pilots that have played a sim game, what chance is there of an experienced simmer (as in game) properly pre-flighting and starting engines on a real world a/c?
    I am a real pilot (albeit of little planes), so I qualify to answer.

The real questions are not how experienced a simmer is but:
    a- What add-on planes they use, and
    b- How seriously do they they take simming.

There are some planes that have a very (and I mean VERY) good simulation of the airplane's systems. So if the simmer uses one of these airplanes and takes simming seriously (not just as a game to fly the 747 under the Golden Gate, but trying to mimic the real-world airliners operations) there is a very good chance that he will be able to pre-flight, start the engines, and much beyond.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

here's the one i was talking about

Made for those who sit in the back and wonder what the pilots do. NOTICE: I do not fly this aircraft IRLPMDG website: http://www.precisionmanuals.com/pages/p...

Comment

I think that "owners manuals" are widely available on www.internet.com, and then sim plane designer geeks make the planes SYSTEMS act very realistic, and then yeah, the simmers also download the manuals...

But who cares about that crap when you can shoot instrument landings in 727's and visually land 777's with Asiana liveries on steep, fast, unstabilized approaches without autothrottles depending on your own prowess to monitor the airspeed!
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

At the end of the day, the preflight flows are documented in the manuals. These manuals are available on the internet without looking too closely.

If you simply followed the procedures written, yes, you'd be able to start an aeroplane.

It would probably take you a while though.

Comment

Originally posted by MCM View Post
            an aeroplane.
            [Heavy British Accent]I suppose that next, you'll want to play the grand piano[/accent]
            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Working...
            X