Landing into a storm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
    ...they touched down in the field in a rather gentle 5 or 10 degree nose up attitude (look at the simulations!)

Pull up into a 15 or 20 degrees nose up climb attitude (which is within the realm of normal gentle operations)...

...pull up into a 25 or 30 or 35 degree nose up climb attitude (which is within the realm of high-performance climb outs)...

...pull up into a climb attitude until the stick shaker warns of a stall...

...pull up into the air (where the plane is supposed to be and where there's fewer cars and water tanks to hit).

...and do all of this using the attitude indicator which is the primary flight control instrument and which they were already using because they were already in IMC on an instrument approach (which is how planes normally do it when visibility is sh*t).
    What was the point from touchdown to hitting the Celica? .25, .50, 1 second? That is a lot to ask of the crew in terms of reaction times. We are only talking 10 to 10.5 seconds from TOGA to slamming into the water tanks. Those last 10 seconds would have been harrowing at the very least and it would have been quite hard to keep your wits about you. What I am trying to point out here is this is a very fine ballet you are all choreographing. Can it be done? Sure. Will everybody be able to do it with enough practice in a simulator? Sure. But its far different than being in the actual crash, with your heart racing and your senses reeling. You can walk away from a simulator without a scratch.

Comment

• Originally posted by flight191 View Post
      What was the point from touchdown to hitting the Celica? .25, .50, 1 second?
      I'm sorry, go re read what you wrote.

To paraphrase, it was something like: "...what were they supposed to pull up into, the visibility was sh*t..."

Look man, I guess I'm the #2 defender of the pilots (you are #1).

But you are way too often making incorrect, off-base statements...

Shortly after the crash, pilots often crashed when given 191 simulations.

The training changed.

Now, pilots rarely crash when given 191 simulations.

The problem wasn't the visibility, nor was it the 15 seconds, the problem was the gentle nose-up attitude.

Are you Myndee?
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Are you Myndee?
        no

Comment

Are you Myndee?

To bad I miss Myndee!

Comment

• FAO Flight 191

191...Have you ever read this?

...same to ATC Bob.

Lots of discussion on the handling and mis-handling of weather information, but not excusing the pilots duty to use eyes, and on-board radar, and the 'lesser' weather data that was given them to interpret that a rip-roaring, gusty thunderstorm was about.

Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Working...
            X