United Cutting Cleveland by 60%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United Cutting Cleveland by 60%

CLEVELAND, Ohio – United Airlines confirmed Saturday that departures from Cleveland will be cut by about 60 percent due to unprofitable operations in the city.

Northeast Ohio Media Group spoke with several travelers to get their feelings on what the cutbacks will mean. Here’s what they had to say:

Omar Garcia of Cleveland uses United to fly to Puerto Rico. It’s what he’s flown since he came to America five years ago from Bayamon, Puerto Rico. It’s the same airline his mother, brothers, sisters and their families used to move to America.

He was at the airport Saturday to pick up another sister who was flying direct from the island.

“I fly United because it’s the cheapest flight I can find,” he said.

Garcia said with such a long flight to begin with, he would rather his family be flying straight to where he lives instead of another airport nearby like Akron, Pittsburgh or Detroit.

“It’s the best airline because it’s cheaper,” Garcia said. “I find this flight cheap (for my sister). It’s a nice price.

“I can fly another company but I think United gave me a good deal. I think it’s bad news for me and a lot of people.”

Eric Holman of Rocky River flies “the cheapest fare.” He was at the airport Saturday to pick someone up. Holman knows all to well, though, about an airline pulling out of airport. He’s originally from Pittsburgh and closely followed the news in January about US Airways ending a six-year operation center in Pittsburgh, but its effects were noticeable long before that announcement.

“When they built the airport (in Pittsburgh), they built it to be a point of interest,” he said. “When US Airways started leaving, the airport is just dead.”

As for Cleveland, Holman said between the loss of jobs and limited flights, “it could have a big impact to this area.”

CLEVELAND, Ohio – United Airlines confirmed Saturday that departures from Cleveland will be cut by about 60 percent due to unprofitable operations in the city.Northeast Ohio Media Group spoke with several travelers to get their feelings on what the cutbacks...

I'm surprised it took United this long after the merger to start dumping Cleveland. I figured they'd dump as much of the Continental side of the company as they could.

Comment

one more nail in cleveland's coffin.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
        one more nail in cleveland's coffin.
        Hell, imagine the swath of the country now. AA did it to STL, US did it to PIT, DL has done it to both MEM and CVG. It's a hell of a blow for large-scale, domestic hubs that are not inherently international as well. Yes, it's consolidation - but not great news for anyone affected, and it's happening in the same block - a hard blow for anything not nailed to a Coast.
        Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

So, who's next? PHL?

Comment

Southwest serves Cleveland; I'm sure if there is the possibility of adding profitable routes they will do so.

Comment

not sure how it wasn't profitable. my folks live in cle and airfare there was always ridiculously expensive. flights from cle to lga were sometimes twice as much as mia lga and it's only a 1 hour flight!

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by Peter Kesternich View Post
                So, who's next? PHL?
                PHL has been quite a money maker for US Airways, and I highly doubt AA would dump it, even with JFK close by. PHL also has a much larger domestic feed than JFK and still some capability to expand current concourses; JFK Terminal 8 is all built-out except for the main terminal. And the Philadelphia metro region has enough O&D to maintain its hub status. Not to mention AA has hinted at adding more international service at PHL.

I think Phoenix Sky Harbor would be the airport to be watched; it sits between LAX and DFW, both major money-makers and both with larger passenger bases (heck, LAX has both, great O&D and connecting passengers). DFW of course is a major economic engine (it has already passed 60 million passengers last year and that's with the November '13 year-to-date figures). However, one thing that is good for PHX is the O&D is better than average for its size from what I gather thus far. And it is a profitable hub, more than Cleveland Hopkins for sure. I guess we'll see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot View Post
                  I think Phoenix Sky Harbor would be the airport to be watched; it sits between LAX and DFW, both major money-makers and both with larger passenger bases (heck, LAX has both, great O&D and connecting passengers).

However, one thing that is good for PHX is the O&D is better than average for its size from what I gather thus far. And it is a profitable hub, more than Cleveland Hopkins for sure. I guess we'll see what happens.
                  You seem to be forgetting one not-so-little thing though:
                  PHX is also home to nearly 200 WN departures.

It only seems to serve one type of traffic flow that the combined LAX+DFW can't effectively replicate: West Coast to northern Mexico.

Is that enough to sustain service in a redundant hub, longterm? I'd say no. Especially since shorthaul international service will no longer remain safe from WN, for long.
                  Us, lighting a living horse on fire:
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH2_Q3oJPeU

Check it out!

Comment

Working...
                  X