Makani Kai Air (N687MA) Dec 11, 13 water landing off Molokai, HI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makani Kai Air (N687MA) Dec 11, 13 water landing off Molokai, HI

A Cessna 208B Grand Caravan passenger plane, registered N687MA, sustained substantial damage in an accident ca 800 m N off Kalaupapa Airport, HI (LUP), United States of America. There were eight passengers and one pilot on board. The airplane operated on a flight from Kalaupapa Airport, HI (LUP) to Honolulu International Airport, HI (HNL).

(Photo source)

Video of the actual ditching

Watch the exclusive video of a small passenger plane making a crash landing on water on the way to Hawaii -- caught on tape using a GoPro. Luckily, all passe...
    AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
    the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Originally posted by VNavV on another thread
    I'm telling you, EVERYONE's got a camera these days...
    ...or something like that...
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

lol. Yes reporter lady, that airplane is totally "spiraling into the ocean"

Comment

The alarm that sounds prior to impact - what was it?
        Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
          The alarm that sounds prior to impact - what was it?
          The stall warning. Or so I think.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

It does sound like a stall warning horn, although some aircraft have similar sounding horns for other things. My bet would be stall warning given they would have been trying to touch down at a slow speed.

Great evacuation by all. Shows what remaining calm can do.

And yes, gotta shake your head at "Spiralling into the ocean" as we watch it calmly touch down lol

Comment

Originally posted by MCM View Post
              It does sound like a stall warning horn, although some aircraft have similar sounding horns for other things.
              Yes, like the landing gear warning, right?
              That was my first thought, until I realized that it was stupid.

My bet would be stall warning given they would have been trying to touch down at a slow speed.
              However, they are still somehow high when the warning starts.
              I would think that the best option would be to approach somehow faster than usual, level-off a few feet above the crest of the waves, and then bleed speed until about stall. But if you reach near-stall speed too high you won't have energy to flare and reduce the sink rate to almost zero for touchdown.

Interestingly, a similar thing happened to Sully; He leveled off too high, lost speed, pulled up and the envelope protection of the Airbus intervened to prevent a stall. And the touchdown was with a higher-than-prescribed sink rate.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
              --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                That was my first thought, until I realized that it was stupid.
                Haha

Comment

Working...
                X