Delta will Ban Cel Calls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
    what makes you think they "studied" it at all?
    Easy, because I know several people who were part of such (at least with DL).

the fact that they announced the ban right after it became a possibility doesn't mean they studied anything.
    You seem to believe I'm basing this on presumption. Granted, doing so wouldn't realistically be much of a stretch, as there's essentially no aspect of their operation that major airlines DON'T exhaustively study.... but still.

it simply means they are smart enough to realize that permitting cell phone use will piss off a lot more folks than not.
    So you think they just sorta picked a strategy based on a wishful guess, and decided to run with it? ...Really? .....Seriously??
    Us, lighting a living horse on fire:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH2_Q3oJPeU

Check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by ConcordeBoy View Post
      Easy, because I know several people who were part of such (at least with DL).

You seem to believe I'm basing this on presumption. Granted, doing so wouldn't realistically be much of a stretch, as there's essentially no aspect of their operation that major airlines DON'T exhaustively study.... but still.

So you think they just sorta picked a strategy based on a wishful guess, and decided to run with it? ...Really? .....Seriously??
      it's not about strategy. this decision can be made with just a few seconds of thought: hmmm, no cellphones on planes for 30 years. no riots or picketing outside our offices. no one clamoring for cell phone usage. decision? no cell phones.

oh and i'd love to know what type of study they allegedly conducted. fill us in...

Comment

it's not about strategy.
        Since when? Curious, exactly what aspects can you name, of a customer-service focused sales enterprise, that are "not about strategy?" Particularly in one with razor-thin margins.

this decision can be made with just a few seconds of thought: hmmm, no cellphones on planes for 30 years. no riots or picketing outside our offices. no one clamoring for cell phone usage. decision? no cell phones.

oh and i'd love to know what type of study they allegedly conducted. fill us in
        ...it shouldn't be difficult to figure out. Seriously.

That said, they've continually surveyed and focus-grouped their frequent fliers, as well as several of their largest corporate contract holders, on the issue since 2011. Among other things. The questions mostly related to choice of usage, amount of usage, areas of usage (domestic, int'l, coastal, transcon, midcon, etc), expected cost of usage (for customer, to DL), etc.

The last (and also largest) such study was a survey of Diamond and select Platinum medallions, concluded in late 2012. Anderson referred to it several times in a memo that was later made public, as the key to their decision.

Check it out!

Comment

I just wish more of us were conscious of being cooped up in a small metal tube where anything we say impacts those around us. It isn't just on planes, its on buses, trains, in restaurants. I think cell phones appear like a license to be rude in our culture. Real bad reflection on us that any company has to BAN an activity that makes others enjoy their time less. But kudos to a company willing to take the flack and do it. They'll be more likely to get my business because they did.

Comment

MCM mentions the availability of in-seat phones available on long haul aircraft and he is of course correct. I've flown long haul normally in economy many times and have yet see an in-seat phone used. Why ? Because you have to swipe a credit or debit card to use them and it costs a goddamn fortune to do it, thats why.
            Allowing the use of personal cell phones is a whole different ball game though. It's your phone, you have already paid to use it so you aren't gonna give a shit who you upset with your constant yapping. No....ban cell phone use on aircraft. I for one want to relax on my flight. I find it difficult enough to rest in an airplane without having some tit yapping on Apples latest techno wonder !
            And while I'm on my hobby horse lets have a sound proofed section where the screaming brats can go.....and let's have leg chains to stop little Johnny from kicking the back of my seat throughout the flight !
            No chains available ? No worries, I have access to some pretty effective sleepy time drugs so, mothers and fathers, next time Johnny complains that something just stung him don't be surprised if he goes to sleep for 10 hours.

Rant over.

Get out clause....most of the above is said in jest......but not all of it
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

My last trip I packed headphones like the jackhammer guys use. I was attempting to allow myself to snooze if conditions were right. The one condition I can't control at all is how much and how loud people talk. Get a gang of young guys sitting in a group of seats and minus noise cancellation, your screwed for hours. I also take them on public transportation. There everyone with a phone is on it, and with ambient noise, they all raise their voices, assuming they can't be heard on the other end. Things were a little nicer before the whole world got cell phones. You could still get people who had hearing disabilities talking as if the whole vehicle needed to hear each word they said. So the only peace that is guaranteed is whatever noise cancellation you bring with you. That's why I think quiet cars on commuter rail are an excellent idea. SOME place in this 24/7 noise hell we call civilization.

Comment

From today's AIAA newsletter:

Letter From Lawmakers Warns Department Heads About In-Flight Cell Phone Use.
                Fierce Mobile IT (9/23, Donovan) reported that 77 Democratic and Republican lawmakers sent a letter to the heads of the FCC, the Department of Transportation, the Department of Homeland Security, and the Department of Justice “warning that allowing in-flight cell phone calls could make planes less safe by causing heated arguments.” The lawmakers said in the letter that they were “extremely concerned” that the FCC is considering allowing “the use of cellphones once a plane reaches 10,000 feet. Currently, the FCC bans the in-flight use of cellphones out of concern that it could interfere with the aircraft’s communication system.”

Maybe allowing texting only would be an answer. Certainly having people yapping on the phones all flight would drive me nuts.

Comment

what a crock! what they are really concerned about is the bad guys plotting by cell phone. note that post 9-11 even sat phones were removed from planes, at least they were disabled.

heated arguments my ass...

Comment

The government's argument is kind of pathetic really.... if so, then the same argument can be made for banning cell phones in trains, or even private cars.

I'd argue that it should be left to the airline. DL found that their targeted top-dollar flyers overwhelmingly didn't want cell usage in flight, so they banned it. Works fine. No need for more government here.

Heck, I'm going to go out on (no much of a) limb here, and say that if cells TRULY presented a danger to aircraft navigation, then the FAA wouldn't let them anywhere near planes, or at least not in the pax cabin. IJS.

Check it out!

Comment

heated arguments my ass...

I think heated arguments would occur similar to the recent arguments over anti-seat-recline-devices.

Comment

Working...
                      X