Total Bullsh*t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh well, still no excuse.

and while we're bashing us air, what kinda shitty dispatcher tells them to leave the gate for a forty minute flight and they spend two hours on the tarmac?

Comment

As an ex FA for USAirways I have to say I am horrified by the way this passenger was treated. Let me get that out there right now - no excuse whatsoever, and well done to all the other passengers who came to his defense.

Regarding the question of babies - we were trained that in an anticipated emergency (keep in mind this is going back 14yrs - things may have changed) the parent is to be moved to a bulkhead seat and the baby is to be wrapped in a blanket at the parent's feet. That's how it was trained 14yrs ago, and I was on mainline, not express, so our smallest a/c was the F100 in those days.

Interestingly before that I worked for BA (not as crew) where supplemental lap belts were issued for babies.
      Yet another AD.com convert!

Comment

While I totally understand what MCM is saying (and it is very possible that the man with the dog was out of line) it sounds to me like it was the attitude of the FA that caused the mutiny. Every problem can be dealt with if the FA's remain in the mindset that the people they are serving are paying customers deserving the respect that hundreds of dollars of their money has afforded them. Unfortunately in today's flying environment, largely due to reduced capacity, mergers and virtual monopolies, certain cabin crew members have taken to treating customers the way a bitter schoolteacher wouid treat children, from a position of authority more than a position of customer service. Instead of instructing customers with intelligence, they issue demands. It is very similar to the attitudes that caused ithe failure of communist states like the USSR. When airlines no longer strive against competition, you can expect a Soviet experience.

I was on an AirBerlin flight to JFK yesterday. There was a medical issue with an elderly Asian woman before departure. She was not in an urgent condition but the paramedics determined that it would be unsafe for her to make the crossing. She was distraught and refused to leave the plane, insisting that she be allowed to travel to her private doctor in the US. The German flight crew and authorities handled it very patiently. It delayed pushback by one hour but there was no drama beyond the woman herself. I was thinking that if this had been a US carrier it probably would have escalated into a childish tabloid nightmare.

What causes this adversarial tension between FA's and the people they serve? I think it is due to the increasingly tense situation airlines are creating in the name of profit, such as reducing seat pitch/width, restricting booking options, restricting checked luggage allowances, reducing cabin meal services, eliminating things like pillows and blankets and all the outrageous fees they impose upon passengers. It has nothing to do with a customer service mentality and it creates animosity and frustration throughout the economy class flying public. It creates a tinderbox situation whereby both passengers and FA's are on edge and in a foul and defensive mood. Meanwhile the small percentage of the population that benefits from this are way up in the front or on their own jets.

But it will come to a head. This incident (a mass mutiny!) is just another warning sign of what is to come if sane pricing and merger regulation is not restored.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
          While I totally understand what MCM is saying (and it is very possible that the man with the dog was out of line) it sounds to me like it was the attitude of the FA that caused the mutiny. Every problem can be dealt with if the FA's remain in the mindset that the people they are serving are paying customers deserving the respect that hundreds of dollars of their money has afforded them. Unfortunately in today's flying environment, largely due to reduced capacity, mergers and virtual monopolies, certain cabin crew members have taken to treating customers the way a bitter schoolteacher wouid treat children, from a position of authority more than a position of customer service. Instead of instructing customers with intelligence, they issue demands. It is very similar to the attitudes that caused ithe failure of communist states like the USSR. When airlines no longer strive against competition, you can expect a Soviet experience.

I was on an AirBerlin flight to JFK yesterday. There was a medical issue with an elderly Asian woman before departure. She was not in an urgent condition but the paramedics determined that it would be unsafe for her to make the crossing. She was distraught and refused to leave the plane, insisting that she be allowed to travel to her private doctor in the US. The German flight crew and authorities handled it very patiently. It delayed pushback by one hour but there was no drama beyond the woman herself. I was thinking that if this had been a US carrier it probably would have escalated into a childish tabloid nightmare.

What causes this adversarial tension between FA's and the people they serve? I think it is due to the increasingly tense situation airlines are creating in the name of profit, such as reducing seat pitch/width, restricting booking options, restricting checked luggage allowances, reducing cabin meal services, eliminating things like pillows and blankets and all the outrageous fees they impose upon passengers. It has nothing to do with a customer service mentality and it creates animosity and frustration throughout the economy class flying public. It creates a tinderbox situation whereby both passengers and FA's are on edge and in a foul and defensive mood. Meanwhile the small percentage of the population that benefits from this are way up in the front or on their own jets.

But it will come to a head. This incident (a mass mutiny!) is just another warning sign of what is to come if sane pricing and merger regulation is not restored.
          we agree! sorta...

talk to your average FA and they will tell you that their attitude is a result of pax being rude, obnoxious, demanding etc etc. as a frequent flyer, i find lots of truth to that. i've actually told other passengers to stfu when they talk too much crap.

and as in other industries, the corporations have become slaves to wall street and the whores just trying to make money in the market. there is ZERO desire to be the best at anything anymore. it is only about profit. service and quality are lip service at best. you can bet your life that the second the regulators permit standing class, every us airline will have it.

Comment

Working...
          X