Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

V1 is or is not a LOCATION on the runway...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
    Still- 100 ft over the end of the threshold...just looks like a well-planned, and well-executed tight (ok, very tight) takeoff.
    Yes, but remember that the take-off performance takes into account not everything going well, but what happens if you abort 1knt short ov V1 or continue with an engine failing 1knt after V1.

These guys lost that layer of swis cheese, and had something like that happened they would be a smoking hole in the ground.

Kuddos to them for self-reporting their mistake,

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
      ATC provided push back clearance and engine start clearance, the re-programming of the FMGS, that had been postponed earlier, did thus not happen. The first officer was convinced the intersection takeoff data had been entered into the FMGS.
      I might like to see an AD for mandatory Post-It note dispensers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
        Yes, but...
        I had hoped you would comment on what the procedure should be to declare, "This looks funny, go to 100% power" and "This looks bad, give her all she's got Scotty, to hell with the di-lithium crystals."
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
          I had hoped you would comment on what the procedure should be to declare, "This looks funny, go to 100% power" and "This looks bad, give her all she's got Scotty, to hell with the di-lithium crystals."
          It is a complicated issue. If you are below 100ks or 80kts (depending what each operator considers the limit for a "high speed" abort) you should abort for any doubt or concern, and probably you will stop on the runay even if you lost a few thousand feet by departing from an intersection that was unaccounted for. Now, if you notice the problem later, and judge that the plane will be "unable to fly", you whould abort at any speed, the idea being that it is better to crash slower and while slowing down than faster and speeding up, which certain Bizplane take-off accident last year proved it is not always really better.

In the end, the PIC has PIC authority to do whatever they judge necessary in the name of the safety, and it is very difficult to procedurize judgement in every situation.

These is one of the situations that the only way to deal with them effectivelly is not to let them happen in the first place.

But, I agree, the moment they said "hey this looks odd" they should have done SOMETHING, be it abort or go full coal.

Originally posted by God
          I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot; I wish that you were cold or hot. So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Working...
          X