Cross Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross Training

So since AA just started utilizing the Airbus brand (yeah i know they used to have a-300's--they don't count), and they previously had no pilots that were current in those types, i'm wondering how long and how expensive it is to re-train boeing jocks to fly side-stick buses.

Here in South Florida, news networks were chomping at the bits to tell everyone about AA needing 1500 pilots in the next 3 years, as well as 1500 flight attendents.

(despite my rant, I cannot find the SunSentinal Article and at least 4 of the news clips),

It might have no immediate impact to MIA, but it does help boost morale. The plan is to hire 50 pilots per month, and from the postings out there, with recruiters is that they are looking for Airbus pilots. It would fit the rate of arrivals and help satisfy current pilots with the company as the furlough may soon be over completely. AA seem to be using this Airbus acquisition as a major part of the turnaround plan, and it's being smartly done, so I have to assume that the same is being done with the staffing. What may be interesting are the options for both pilot groups. The 787s are coming, 777s are going to be the workhorse of their fleet for a while before being replaced. If the merger with US happens, then A330s and A350s are on the way, with a merger of crew and company outlooks.

I don't think that there are going to be many that would retrain for a new type, with the few that want to being able to for the novelty of it. Imagine the nightmare of being certified to fly both, and being on reserve on a holiday weekend. HELL!
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

It takes longer than a Boeing - Boeing transfer, but at the end of the day they are both just aeroplanes.

Its a little 'how long is a piece of string'. If you're in a hurry, you can convert people quickly, if not, it takes a little longer. Also depends if the line flying is on an A320 with 4 sectors a day, or on an A380 with 1 sector every three days.

Something in the vicinity of 2-3 months is not unreasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by MCM View Post
        It takes longer than a Boeing - Boeing transfer, but at the end of the day they are both just aeroplanes.

Its a little 'how long is a piece of string'. If you're in a hurry, you can convert people quickly, if not, it takes a little longer. Also depends if the line flying is on an A320 with 4 sectors a day, or on an A380 with 1 sector every three days.

Something in the vicinity of 2-3 months is not unreasonable.
        So, in your opinion, is there going to be significant (from an operating cost standpoint) cost to the Airline? Or, is it merely fractions of pennies on the dollar?

Comment

there are currently no flying pilot jobs listed at careers.aa.com

Comment

Question - if the airline currently has pilots on furlough, are they under any obligation to take these pilots back when conditions improve? If there is a pilot that is furloughed, and awaiting return to the company, can the company say "Well, you were trained to operate the MD-80, but it's not longer in the fleet - so if you want a job, train for the A32X family?". Or, after being furloughed for a while, does that obligation to the (former?) employee still exist?

Comment

There is always a cost involved in training, and yes it is a significant cost. That should all be taken into account when choosing an aircraft though.

For example Boeing sell the 787 to existing Boeing customers (particularly 777/747) on the basis of minimal training times and therefore low costs. They push very hard for common ratings.

I'm not an expert in the area (fortunately), but the general concept under furlough would be that those pilots would be offered 'first dibs' at any positions that came up. As to how many of them will take them, I don't know.

I would imagine that AA would have an interest in getting back whoever they can, and training them onto the type. Some will already have Airbus time. When you rejoin an airline after such a long period, you're going to have to do a full training course anyway, so making it a French one would make little difference.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                there are currently no flying pilot jobs listed at careers.aa.com
                The pilot hiring announcement is at the very top of the careers page, in fairly large letters.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                  The pilot hiring announcement is at the very top of the careers page, in fairly large letters.
                  From the job description:
                  Work in climates and locations across the globe and work variable shifts
                  Wouldn't "around the globe" have been better?
                  For me, with English as a second language only, "across the globe" sounds like mining rather than flying.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                  --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                    From the job description:

Wouldn't "around the globe" have been better?
                    For me, with English as a second language only, "across the globe" sounds like mining rather than flying.
                    Sounds like it comes from the "Flat Earth Society" !
                    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                      Come on... A flat "globe"? If it had said "across the world", maybe.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                        The Earth looks flat to me...much like my old aviation maps which are supposed to depict the earth, right? Fly across the continent, fly across the ocean...unless you are flying up and down on the globe too...right?

Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

DOH! missed that. i searched for "pilot" using their search function and all that came back was two ground school listings.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
                            Question - if the airline currently has pilots on furlough, are they under any obligation to take these pilots back when conditions improve? If there is a pilot that is furloughed, and awaiting return to the company, can the company say "Well, you were trained to operate the MD-80, but it's not longer in the fleet - so if you want a job, train for the A32X family?". Or, after being furloughed for a while, does that obligation to the (former?) employee still exist?
                            For the answer to your question, refer to Chapter 17, Sections V and W of AA's current CBA with APA. It can be found here:

Pages 158-160 and subsequent.

Comment

For the answer to your question, refer to Chapter 17, Sections V and W of AA's current CBA with APA. It can be found here:

Pages 158-160 and subsequent.
                              Basically?

Comment

Working...
                              X