No announcement yet.

Safety my Arse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An interesting fact about asbestos. Although it is a fireproofing material...put a sheet of it on a fire and take cover. It will explode sending hot shards everywhere. Reason for this is that the side nearest the fire heats and expands rapidly. The side away from the fire remains cool and the whole thing goes BANG when the material can no longer absorb the different expansion rates.

Take my word for it, trust me. Don't try this at home. I learned the hard way.

If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Fortunately, the asbestos cloth dissipates heat differently, perhaps through the holes in the weave. I had a piece that I'd stuff or tack on wood joists or beams when I was soldering a leaking pipe with a torch or to get stubborn car parts off. My 1980 MGB used a sheet sandwiched between steel for deflecting the heat of the catalytic converter. British Leyland wanted almost $150 for the part. A 4' X 8' sheet was only $5. And, yes, I have had years of safety training and hold the highest certifications for asbestos and a bunch of other bad actors. Don't try this at home!

* Those comments came from one of the FAA chiefs at JFK, when I was trying to get a few air samples out to the midwest for analysis. There were only "hypothetical" fibers present in the air sample but the answer was a firm no. It was faster having two people drive them non stop.
      Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

Originally posted by guamainiac View Post
        ........................There is a clause in the FAA regs that forbids the transportation of any asbestos aboard a commercial flight, ................
        One of the major structural adhesives used for aircraft structures contains (or did so some 20 years ago) asbestos. The adhesive could not be sold in California so we had to travel to Phoenix to buy it. The parts we built were for older aircraft but could not obtain waivers to use non-asbestos containing glue.

Comment

You'd be amazed at what is allowed on a commercial passenger carrying flight. There are of course strict conditions, but always remember that most aircraft are usually being loaded by the lowest bidder and low wages often attract low levels of compliance.

Comment

Highkeas, how true. Most folks think there is an asbestos ban. There is on certain products, but many non-friable products are quite legal and it may be used "where there is no substitute".

California is just nuts. They wanted to label anything that had any asbestos in it till it got pointed out that every curb in the state would have to be labeled because of residual historic dust from brakes. Now I understand they have banned the sale of alcohol based windshield fluid unless you are within a hundred miles of the mountains.
            Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

Originally posted by guamainiac View Post
              It takes a secondary source for a can like hair spray to ignite, it's not going to go up in flames on it's own.
              Exactly. Bureaucratic nonsense. Ban the incendiary things, like lithium ion anything.

Comment

my point with the aerosol cans was this: millions of pax flew billions of miles and never once was there an explosion because of a can of hairspray or any other aerosol crap.

i'm not really interested in how it burns or explodes. like brian said, if the fire is raging enough to cause a can of hairspay in a suitcase to ignite, you are already f*&%ed and the exploding can is not going to make a difference.

bottom line is it's a bloody stupid prohibition dreamt up by some government ninny.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                  my point with the aerosol cans was this: millions of pax flew billions of miles and never once was there an explosion because of a can of hairspray or any other aerosol crap.

i'm not really interested in how it burns or explodes. like brian said, if the fire is raging enough to cause a can of hairspay in a suitcase to ignite, you are already f*&%ed and the exploding can is not going to make a difference.

bottom line is it's a bloody stupid prohibition dreamt up by some government ninny.
                  Ever hold a lighter or a match up and spray hairspray on it? (a la James Bond) I think that is more what the TSA idiots are worried about.

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
                    Ever hold a lighter or a match up and spray hairspray on it? (a la James Bond) I think that is more what the TSA idiots are worried about.
                    yes, done that a bunch. i was ranting about the prohibition in checked bags.

as a cargo pilot, i'll bet you've flown thousands of aerosol cans around the world and don't have a single problem to report.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                      yes, done that a bunch. i was ranting about the prohibition in checked bags.

as a cargo pilot, i'll bet you've flown thousands of aerosol cans around the world and don't have a single problem to report.

I also fly tons of lithium ion batteries and have never had a problem.

But shit happens sometimes!

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
                        I also fly tons of lithium ion batteries and have never had a problem.

But shit happens sometimes!
                        Yup, dispatched those and:
                        Explosives
                        Oxygen generating kit
                        Radioactive material
                        Cars
                        Flammables
                        Compressed gas
                        live animals
                        Dead bodies
                        Horse semen
                        Infectious deseases
                        Molecular acid....

The list goes on.

The difference is that it is that all these substances are properly controlled in terms of containers, packaging and loading, where checked-in baggage is not.
                        Loads of stories of passengers turning up with weird stuff in their baggage: I remember one having a car engine in a case made to look like a suitcase. Discovered because of the trail of petrol and oil he left leading up to the check in desk.

Comment

Working...
                        X