Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nikon D800 for spotting and airshows - experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nikon D800 for spotting and airshows - experience?

As I am thinking about a new DSLR, I would like to know if some users are already using a D800 for spotting and how that does work out.

The 5D3 works fantastically for me so i'd assume the D800 would be great also Stefan. I love my full frame camera. I do however always have the 7D in my bag for when the cropped sensor is needed as i do find the 5D3 lacks in range sometimes for certain creative shots.
    Chris Sharps
    5D3 | 5D2 | 7D | 1D2 | 10D | 400D | 1V | 3
    17-40F4L | 24-105F4LIS | 70-200F2.8LIS | 100-400LIS
    24F1.4L II | 50F1.2L | 85F1.2L II | 15F2.8 Fisheye | 50F1.4 | 100F2.8 Macro
    1.4x | 550EX x2

Fuji X100

Comment

I hope to try the D800 next weekend.

Comment

My main concern with the D800 for airshows is the large sensor, 36MP means the Raw files are probably around 35 MB in size, so if you shoot raw, you might end up with a lot of space used.
        [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Around 20MB in jpg normal, which is good enough for "normal" spotting events. The metering system of the D800 however seems to be completely awesome. Resolution is nice and the viewfinder in 1.2 crop works perfectly well, if I want more reach and smaller (25.4 MP) files. I just played with it for one evening, but I think I am in love.
          Last edited by seahawk; 2013-09-19, 18:56.

Comment

As some of you might recall, I upgraded to the Nikon D600. I am very happy with the D600. Excellent quality. Image size (RAW) is about 25 Mb. The D600 has many of the important features of the D800 in a smaller, lighter package - and costs less as well.
            I still have many things to discover especially the fact that at FX, zooming power is reduced - not to be underestimated as a factor!

What impressed me so far is the potential in low light and the quality of detail. I can now see (and read..) some small lettering on aircraft I completely missed before with my D90.

Comment

Have you ran into the oily sensor issue yet?
              [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

If you buy one make sure you get it from somewhere with a return policy.
                The D800 has a known AF issue with innacuracy.
                It either works or not.
                If you get a good one you are fine if not you will have problems with poor AF on the left side of frame.
                D3S is a superb camera higher fps much better for airshow work but lower rez.
                Far superior for action photography and better AF and hi ISO.
                For anything to do with aviation photography i still struggle to see one advanage of huge files as if you cant get good pics with 5000 pixels across you aint going to do any better 7500 across.
                Your pics are excellent already so i myself would be after better fps AF and build if you can live eith 12mp..
                If you get the D800 be careful a friend of mine went through 2 bodies to get a good one..

Comment

Originally posted by Felipe Garcia View Post
                  Have you ran into the oily sensor issue yet?
                  No oily problems...yet... with my D600.
                  I have spoken to Nikon representatives here in Italy and Nikon users. All agree that this oily issue is somewhat of a myth. They all say that Nikon would not be so dumb to produce a fine camera that spits oil on the sensor.
                  Then again certain myths have a degree of truth hidden inside.
                  I guess we can ask the MythBusters to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren Howie View Post
                    If you buy one make sure you get it from somewhere with a return policy.
                    The D800 has a known AF issue with innacuracy.
                    It either works or not.
                    If you get a good one you are fine if not you will have problems with poor AF on the left side of frame.
                    Looks like a good one so far. First spotting trip is planed for tomorrow. First impression is that the AF and metering system are a big step up from the D300S.

Comment

Thats good for you.
                      My understanding is if you get a good one your safe it doesnt deteriorate it just doesnt work well out of the box.
                      Seen some lovely images from D800's good luck!

Comment

The first tests was breathtaking. The dynamic range, the colors, the new metering system, the improved AF make the camera joy to use. Even using the 1.2 crop still gives you absolutely stunning results. I still look at those pics twice a day to convince myself that they are really that good.

And the AF-S 80-400VR seems to love this camera.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk View Post
                          The first tests was breathtaking. The dynamic range, the colors, the new metering system, the improved AF make the camera joy to use. Even using the 1.2 crop still gives you absolutely stunning results. I still look at those pics twice a day to convince myself that they are really that good.

And the AF-S 80-400VR seems to love this camera.
                          The D800 and new 80-400mm go well together. The combination really shines in low light. I was able to get hand held images (in gusty wind) at 1/5 and 1/13 from the Schipol Viewing terrace, whilst at ISO 3200 with hardly any noise. I love the combo!

As for moving aircraft, I'm not sure the VR works well, it tends to blur the nose and tail for me.

Comment

Works decently for me. If the shutter time is not over 1/1000 and I give the VR a little time to swing into position. Meaning half pressing the shutter release button and following the plane for a second before taking the pic.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk View Post
                              Works decently for me. If the shutter time is not over 1/1000 and I give the VR a little time to swing into position. Meaning half pressing the shutter release button and following the plane for a second before taking the pic.
                              I'm so used to just leaving the Image Stabilization on at all times with my previous lenses and not having any issues. With the 80-400mm I'm having to turn it off above 1/500.

The VR is hard to use when you only get a second or two to catch an image with the aircraft dodging between a few trees and other objects, as you have little or no time for the VR to kick in and stabilize properly, something my previous lenses didn't have an issue with. Having said that, the stabilization is fantastic for stationary aircraft. Crisp clear images at fantastically low shutter speeds and F5.6

Comment

Working...
                              X