NY area airports & TMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NY area airports & TMS

So, i've been flying in and out of NYC area airports for 30 years, and i'm just baffled by the delays every time there is a cloud within 10,000 miles of the city (slight exaggeration).

in what wouldn't even begin to affect just about every other major airport with the exception of o'hare, if there is even a drizzle, every flight into and out of LGA & JFK are delayed by at least one hour. EWR is never much better.

so what i'd like to know is, what is the Traffic Management System? what are the criteria for invoking it? what does it dictate?

and yeah, i know it slows traffic and spaces is out more. looking for something more technical.

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
    So, i've been flying in and out of NYC area airports for 30 years, and i'm just baffled by the delays every time there is a cloud within 10,000 miles of the city (slight exaggeration).
    Just a slight exaggeration. After many hours of sitting in the ball park at EWR, I'm convinced that the actual distance is closer to about 5,000 miles...

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
    in what wouldn't even begin to affect just about every other major airport with the exception of o'hare, if there is even a drizzle, every flight into and out of LGA & JFK are delayed by at least one hour. EWR is never much better.

so what i'd like to know is, what is the Traffic Management System? what are the criteria for invoking it? what does it dictate?

and yeah, i know it slows traffic and spaces is out more. looking for something more technical.
    Someone in the ATC system could probably give you a better answer, but I'll give it my best shot as I see it. I believe the issue has to do with the sheer volume of traffic arriving and departing the NY metro area. When a departure gate closes due to weather, they just don't have the airspace to route traffic through all the other gates at the same flow rate, so they put in-trail (mileage) restrictions on departures. Or they'll stop departures over the affected gate and let everyone else go.

Does anyone out there work in or close to ATC and have a better explanation?
    The "keep my tail out of trouble" disclaimer: Though I work in the airline industry, anything I post on here is my own speculation or opinion. Nothing I post is to be construed as "official" information from any air carrier or any other entity.

Comment

thanks snyder. did a little googling and found what appears to be an ATC reference document. not much in the way of what i can understand... http://www.fly.faa.gov/Information/e...lga/lga_tm.htm

Comment

Working...
      X