USAF KC-135 missing over Kyrgyzstan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leo 747 View Post
    Well, not all. Brazilian Air Force's KC-137 were originally civilian 707s from Varig until they were sold and converted.
    Indeed and some USAF C-137 were also second hand.
    “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Comment

Originally posted by tsv View Post
      Or a missile.
      But no one said they saw a missile, which is kind of hard to miss, so a missile seems the least likely cause.

Comment

TeeVee, regarding the aluminum, it will vaporize and leave nary a trace if it's in a hot fire long enough.
        Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
          and not sure who this moron is, but he should be shot for gross stupidity...

I've noticed lately that you're a big fan of capital punishment for even minor offenses. SS style...

Comment

You have to admit that is extremely disrespectful to the crew who died in this accident.
            As for the age of the aircraft i do believe the 63 in the serial is a bit of clue but as has been said they are extremely well maintained and have a lot less flight hours than regular aircraft. My money would be on a structural failure with the fuel tank leading to a leak causing a fire and inevitable explosion. Whatever the cause any air crash is extremely sad we just have to be thankful that there were no more casualties on the ground as can so often be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by SAMRPICS View Post
              My money would be on a structural failure with the fuel tank leading to a leak causing a fire and inevitable explosion.
              And how much of your money would be in this just-not-impossible hypothesis?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
              --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

It could have been any number of things especially with a tanker. Static or a frayed wire or on the outside hostile fire.

There is such a thing as "The Golden BB", and though rare it occasionally happen.

When I was a stupid kid, I shot a Goldfinch out of a tree at about 40 yards, heck I could hardly see the poor thing and the .32 caliber pistol with a short barrel is certainly not accurate. That was just stupid and dumb luck not marksmanship. I never thought I'd hit it.

Comment

As i have very little money i am gonna say no more than Ł50. Time will tell but that would be my best guess.

Comment

how about maintenance error? by leaving the cabin pressurization relief valve being left in the test position? this would mean the cabin over pressurized and then exploded. there is a pic of a KC135 with its tail blown off when the engineers over pressurized the hull

Comment

here it is

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                        And how much of your money would be in this just-not-impossible hypothesis?
                        Why so skeptical? it is a valid hypothesis.
                        [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Originally posted by Felipe Garcia View Post
                          Why so skeptical? it is a valid hypothesis.
                          I don't mean that it's not valid, but I see nothing that makes it "especially" valid over other just-not-impossible hypothesis as to put your money on it.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Part of the reason i would say an issue with the fuel tank was involved is that there is very little of the aircraft left suggesting an extremely intense explosion which turned the aluminum to ash. Whilst i will admit this may not be the cause if i had to put money on it this would be the problem i would go for. As for the pressurization switch this is another valid cause however would this create the intense fire.

Comment

you only have to look at the National B744 crash video to see what an a/c does when it hits the ground... the explosive decompression was only a suggestion.....

Comment

SAMRPICS, quite the opposite, a severe and intense explosion would scatter material (aluminum skin), such as the fuselage, wings and control surfaces away from the explosion and leave a lot of material remaining.

Aluminum will vaporize or "ash" if it in a fire but that takes time. It is true however that it certainly have been in either a wing or belly tank (like the 747 off Long Island). It appears that the aircraft impacted pretty much intact and then much of it burned away.

If you have the grill on tonight and the embers are still glowing toss in a beer or soda can and it will disappear fairly rapidly.

Comment

Working...
                                X