X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USAF KC-135 missing over Kyrgyzstan

3 crew on board

USAF 22th Air Refueling Wing, tail n. 63-8877
    Last edited by James Bond; 2013-05-03, 21:45. Reason: Tail number and wing incorrect, number of crew
    AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
    the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Sad news.
    serial was 63-8877

Pictures here: http://thebaseleg.blogspot.com.au/20...yrgyzstan.html

Blue skies...
    [photoid=6240565]
    Last edited by ErwinS; 2013-05-03, 15:34.
    “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Comment

Originally posted by ErwinS View Post
      serial was 63-8877
      I stand corrected.

Someone near the crash site snapped this photo soon after

Did it brake up prior to impact? Looks like it to me

Footage from the Crash site

Last edited by James Bond; 2013-05-03, 22:14. Reason: additional image, video
      AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
      the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

Do military planes have FDR'S

Comment

Originally posted by James Bond View Post
          Did it brake up prior to impact? Looks like it to me
          While I try to avoid trusting "eye witnesses" in plane crashes because we all know how reliable they are, most news stories I've seen have quoted eye witnesses who said they did see the aircraft break up/explode in flight.

So if correct, then either total structural failure, fire which detonated a fuel tank, or a bomb.

Comment

Originally posted by B757300 View Post
            So if correct, then either total structural failure, fire which detonated a fuel tank, or a bomb.
            Or a missile.

Comment

not much left to sift through. this may seems stupid, but where did all the metal go? even if it melted it wouldn't turn to ash.

Comment

and not sure who this moron is, but he should be shot for gross stupidity...

Comment

Originally posted by phoneman View Post
                  Do military planes have FDR'S
                  I worked on FDR components for military aircraft in the 70s. I do not know about todays military aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                    not much left to sift through. this may seems stupid, but where did all the metal go? even if it melted it wouldn't turn to ash.
                    Given enough heat (fuel fire) aluminum will burn leaving aluminum oxide ("ash"). Powdered aluminum is used as an additive in some solid rocket propellants.

Comment

Looks like a structural failure of some kind. Those airplanes were Boeing 707, converted to KC-135, I bet they are 40 or 50 years old !
                      A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

Originally posted by AVION1 View Post
                        Looks like a structural failure of some kind. Those airplanes were Boeing 707, converted to KC-135, I bet they are 40 or 50 years old !
                        While KC-135 and 707 are both based on the 367-80 I recall that the early KC-135 had a smaller diameter fuselage and shorter length than the first 707 aircraft. I do not know if later model KC-135 were converted 707s (I donated my comprehensive Boeing history book to an air museam some years ago).

Comment

Originally posted by Highkeas View Post
                          While KC-135 and 707 are both based on the 367-80 I recall that the early KC-135 had a smaller diameter fuselage and shorter length than the first 707 aircraft. I do not know if later model KC-135 were converted 707s (I donated my comprehensive Boeing history book to an air museam some years ago).
                          KC-135 is no 707. If I recall they share only 25% similair components. Converted 707's are KC-137's.

Originally posted by AVION1 View Post
                          Age doesn't say anything, those 135's barely have more than 30.000 hrs and are well maintained. Morst comercial a/c have way more hours.
                          Last edited by ErwinS; 2013-05-05, 00:49.
                          “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Comment

The C-137s were not conversions but were built as such, though based on the 707 airframe. The same applies to the E-3. Civil 707 conversions have been given the following military designations depending on role : E-6, E-8 and C-18.

As noted above, the C-135 series was basically a different airframe.

Comment

Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
                              The C-137s were not conversions but were built as such, though based on the 707 airframe.
                              Well, not all. Brazilian Air Force's KC-137 were originally civilian 707s from Varig until they were sold and converted.
                              My pictures: https://www.jetphotos.com/photographer/46959

Comment

Working...
                              X