Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panning shots: Can they be done by hand holding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im new to professional cameras and what is optical stabilization?
    I have a Canon EOS 600D with EFS 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 IS lenses. is the optical stabilization the "Stabilizer On/Off" button on the side of the lenses? Or something more complicated?

Comment

Hi Hongming, glad to see you've taken interest in my shot.

You definitely can pan hand-held, but it takes practice, patience and sometimes just sheer luck.

Here's some more samples, taken at 1/4 seconds:
      [photoid=7515398]
      [photoid=7501669]

1/3 seconds will yield slightly nicer results:
      [photoid=7453144]

Even 1/2 seconds is possible sometimes:
      [photoid=7252901]

Other photographers have been known to take panning as far as 1 second
      [photoid=7230089]

Canon calls it's optical stabilization mechanism IS (or VR for Nikons, OS for Sigma, it's all pretty much the same). You will have to turn the stabilizer on, unless your hands are stable enough to do without!
      Last edited by deltatango; 2013-01-08, 02:03. Reason: punctuation

Comment

Originally posted by deltatango View Post
        Hi Hongming, glad to see you've taken interest in my shot.

You definitely can pan hand-held, but it takes practice, patience and sometimes just sheer luck.
        Wow!
        I often browse through Singapore's photos, and always see your panning shots(Actually, thats where I learned the concept called "Panning"), I never thought you did them by hand!

Amazing!

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Went spotting, turned stabilizer on, and set the exposure to 1/50, and as the plane was speeding up......

[photoid=7533614]

Comment

Originally posted by hongmng View Post
            Thanks everyone!

Went spotting, turned stabilizer on, and set the exposure to 1/50, and as the plane was speeding up......

[photoid=7533614]

Great picture!
            I had a few like this but since my comuter crashed, they are ALL gone
            Love at the first flight

The link shows only my last flights of these last 3 years and some of 4 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Brussels Airlines View Post
              Great picture!

It is definitely very unfortunate when this happens......external hard drive and back up!!!! Then we all would have be able to share in your joy.

I am particularly fond of the pan/blur technique as it blurs the otherwise distracting back ground and really gives an added dimension of speed.
              [photoid=7505489]
              [photoid=7484386]
              [photoid=7484385]
              [photoid=7437172]
              [photoid=7334798]
              [photoid=7332190]
              [photoid=7328994]
              [photoid=7328856]
              Last edited by Richard M. A. Wood; 2013-01-15, 01:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Brussels Airlines View Post
                Great picture!
                Ouch! I had that happen about two years ago with my external.

Nice shot, though! The bug has bitten you and I'm betting you're itching for more!

Comment

Originally posted by hongmng View Post
                  Im new to professional cameras and what is optical stabilization?
                  I have a Canon EOS 600D with EFS 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 IS lenses. is the optical stabilization the "Stabilizer On/Off" button on the side of the lenses? Or something more complicated?
                  No one answered this one. Answer is, yes.

Different manufacturers use different initials to indicate a stabilised lens. With Canon it's IS ( image stabilisation ), with Nikon it's VR ( vibration reduction ) and with Sigma it's OS ( optical stabilisation ).
                  All of them claim the ability to shoot at up to 4 stops slower and maintain sharpness but you still need to practise your panning.

You can practise without even going to the airport as well. Find a fast road and practise shooting the traffic, especially long vehicles as they approximate a long fuselage better.
                  Words of warning though. Obviously shoot from a safe place but also don't be too obvious in what you are doing, some drivers might not take too kindly to being photographed.
                  If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Since everyone is posting their examples...

[photoid=6710185]

Comment

As everyone has mentioned, practice makes perfect...

I've experimented with pans in low light and full day light, and while not yet perfect, am pleased with the results and trying to get slower and slower over time, with some half-decent results down to 1/20th but not quite ready.

1/50th: [photoid=7494583]

1/60th: [photoid=7457391]

1/80th: [photoid=7396958]

[edit]: just noticed that all my panning shots are Air Tran... weird.

Comment

Here are mine, all hand-helded, IS lenses, times from 1/80 to 1/25...

As you can see, most of them have been taken during rather poor weather, I think it is the best to practice
                        Good luck and I'm waiting to see your panned shots!

Comment

Sometimes you don't even need to slow the shutter speed...

1/1000 [photoid=6339475]

1/640 [photoid=6516940]

1/500 [photoid=6339479]

Comment

Originally posted by twr75 View Post
                            Sometimes you don't even need to slow the shutter speed...
                            If you have planes as fast as these...

Comment

Working...
                            X