F***ing unbelievable!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It can't climb properly?

[quote=brianw999;601903]I couldn't help but smile at this comment later in the forum posts...

I think the most shocking thing about this whole incident is that someone managed to get an A343 into a rapid climb...

B, bu, but I'm booked with Gulf Air to Bahrain in January and I think its a 330. I never heard that they don't climb very well, Mr brianw999. Is this joke based on actual performance reality, please?

Comment

The A330 climbs very well, the A340 climbs slowly and steadily and is refered to by us enthusiasts as powered by 4 hair dryers.

Comment

Red Smoking Jacket and Lime Green Sneakers

I just looked at the url you gave, Mr Gabriel and I'm puzzled. How could a professional pilot not notice an extreme nose up attitude? Its right there on the big blue and brown screen on the simulator I used and its extremely easy to see and notice if your nose is pointing too much above the brown with a lot of blue showing, even for a professional aviation disaster like me. I've never had a crash or stalled becauseI didn't notice my nose was too upwards pointing. I conclude that there is an unknown psychology at play, here. They were distracted, they missed vital information, they acted unprofessionally. the only possible conclusion is they were distracted. I suspect boredom and Pilot's Fuge where pilots are lulled to a dream state by the little coloured lights, the occassional snapple of the radio, the familiar whirrs clicks and whines of the flight deck. What can be done to ensure this doesn't happen when I fly to India via Bahrain on a 330 of some kind in January? Could I pop up to the FD and offer 5 minutes of stand-up wearing my new red velvet smoking jacket and the lime green sneakers so thoughtfully provided on my recent birthday, by the mother-in-law? Or perhaps I could do some breathing exercises with them. Not the sneakers, I mean with the pilots.

Comment

Wow...how are some pilots that inept at interpreting their primary flight instruments? This is a serious recurring problem. Reminds me of the Turkish 738 at AMS.

Also the similarities between this and AF447 are telling.

Comment

Originally posted by Jingogunner View Post
            I just looked at the url you gave, Mr Gabriel and I'm puzzled. How could a professional pilot not notice an extreme nose up attitude? Its right there on the big blue and brown screen on the simulator I used and its extremely easy to see and notice if your nose is pointing too much above the brown with a lot of blue showing, even for a professional aviation disaster like me. I've never had a crash or stalled becauseI didn't notice my nose was too upwards pointing. I conclude that there is an unknown psychology at play, here. They were distracted, they missed vital information, they acted unprofessionally. the only possible conclusion is they were distracted. I suspect boredom and Pilot's Fuge where pilots are lulled to a dream state by the little coloured lights, the occassional snapple of the radio, the familiar whirrs clicks and whines of the flight deck. What can be done to ensure this doesn't happen when I fly to India via Bahrain on a 330 of some kind in January? Could I pop up to the FD and offer 5 minutes of stand-up wearing my new red velvet smoking jacket and the lime green sneakers so thoughtfully provided on my recent birthday, by the mother-in-law? Or perhaps I could do some breathing exercises with them. Not the sneakers, I mean with the pilots.
            Same sort of thing I wondered many years ago when a plane plunged into a swamp in Florida because everybody in the cockpit was gathered around some burnt out bulb. I'd like to thing we've advanced a lot since that day. But?

Comment

Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post
              Same sort of thing I wondered many years ago when a plane plunged into a swamp in Florida because everybody in the cockpit was gathered around some burnt out bulb. I'd like to thing we've advanced a lot since that day. But?
              The word for the day is 'insidious'

SEEMS incomprehensible, but it has happened and probably will happen again.

...and we need to be careful when we think "it could never happen to me".
              Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                The word for the day is 'insidious'

SEEMS incomprehensible, but it has happened and probably will happen again.

...and we need to be careful when we think "it could never happen to me".
                I know it's not a healthy attitude, but I can't help but think that some things can't happen to me.
                Examples include this, Air France, Spanair...

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                  I know it's not a healthy attitude, but I can't help but think that some things can't happen to me.
                  Examples include this, Air France, Spanair...
                  Autopilot on- focus on the landing gear light...insidious.

Nose up, slow speed, wallowing roll responses, 37,000 ft descent, "But I've been pulling up the whole time." Yeah, parlour-talking-ass-hats might have tried some stall recovery techniques from a 152/Tommahawk POH.
                  Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                    Autopilot on- focus on the landing gear light...insidious.
                    There's a reason why that one was not in my "not to me" list.
                    (with "this one" I meant the one that is subject of this thread)

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

you only have to watch Nat Geo Channels "air crash investigations" to see that there are so many incidents when the pilot allegedly do not fly the plane. Aeroperu B757 static vent tape not removed post wash and the air transat A330 running out of fuel mid Atlantic comes to mind. the first, the pilots act on a overspeed warning when the engines are near idle, the latter . the a/c is rolling and the fuel gauge says one wing is using fuel quicker than the other and they open the cross feed.......

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                        I couldn't help but smile at this comment later in the forum posts...
                        LOL about the rapid climb jest. I love flying LAN's A343's but they sure weren't made to soar!

The IL-86 had to be the ultimate slow climber. I'm sure I flew half war across Russia one night - before we took off (ok I'd had a few too many Vodkas induced by the usual unexplained 5 hour delay so maybe it wasn't quite that far).

Comment

Originally posted by tsv View Post
                          LOL about the rapid climb jest. I love flying LAN's A343's but they sure weren't made to soar!

The IL-86 had to be the ultimate slow climber. I'm sure I flew half war across Russia one night - before we took off (ok I'd had a few too many Vodkas induced by the usual unexplained 5 hour delay so maybe it wasn't quite that far).
                          Must be an "Illyushin" thing:

Ilyushin IL-76 IL76 Using It All Airliners usually use no more than 2/3rds of the runway to take off. Watch in amazement as this fully-loaded Russian car...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy C View Post
                            you only have to watch Nat Geo Channels "air crash investigations" to see that there are so many incidents when the pilot allegedly do not fly the plane. Aeroperu B757 static vent tape not removed post wash and the air transat A330 running out of fuel mid Atlantic comes to mind. the first, the pilots act on a overspeed warning when the engines are near idle, the latter . the a/c is rolling and the fuel gauge says one wing is using fuel quicker than the other and they open the cross feed.......
                            Well in fairness to the pilots it is hard to fly the plane at night with no visual cues and your instruments aren't working.

Comment

Originally posted by SYDCBRWOD View Post
                              Well in fairness to the pilots it is hard to fly the plane at night with no visual cues and your instruments aren't working.
                              true, but lets think, stick position. slightly aft of centre and throttles set to 80% NH and the aircraft will climb out of the clouds into the moonlight. you can drive your car without a speedo/odometer, y gear, x revs, and you go at z MPH or kmph, because you have done that so many times before. even the B757 pilot on the show said the same thing
                              also airliners are built as a stable aircraft unlike modern fighters so let go of the stick and if you have trimmed it right it will fly straight and level, i'm an engineer not a pilot but i have a degree in aerospace technology , including the principles of flight.... but I have been in that "oh shit" moment and it wasn't pleasant.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy C View Post
                                true, but lets think, stick position. slightly aft of centre and throttles set to 80% NH and the aircraft will climb out of the clouds into the moonlight. you can drive your car without a speedo/odometer...
                                OH HELL NO...

I thought one must ONLY refer to the memory checklist and QRH, and NOT rely on ANY sort of common sense + fundamental aeronautical knowledge.

(Roy, please disregard these comments...However, maybe Gabriel might chime in)

Comment

Working...
                                X