Who's more full of crap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's more full of crap?

So, on the one hand, Airbus claims it makes the "world's most popular single-aisle aircraft" http://www.airbus.com/presscentre/pr...ied-the-world/

in this advertisement, they claim to have sold over 8,500 a320's.

Now Boeing claims to have sold over 10,800 737 family aircraft which on its face, FAR exceeds airbus' claim. http://www.boeing.com/commercial/737...ackground.html. then on another page boeing claims it has only delivered 7100 and has orders for more than 9700.

so which one is more full of crap? assuming both manufacturers have told the truth regarding the raw numbers, i'd say they both are...

It's all marketing. They are probably all right, it's just the way to interpret them.

Airbus have sold fewer A320 family planes then Boeing has. But the 737 has been around a longer time, so it's safe to assume that more 737s have been retired (notably 100, 200 and 300 series). Therefor right now there might be more A320s flying around then there are 737s.

Also, note they say "most popular"! Not most numerous. So above argument could be moot. They might have send a questionary to 100 people asking which plane they liked best. The Airbus might have come on top of the questionary, but that does not mean anything. After all, who books their flight ticket based on what plane they'll get? Except for plane geeks noone does that anymore. back in the day of Concorde perhaps, but not today.

Boeing's claim to have delivered 7100 planes I won´t comment on. Such a statement is easily verified, and therefor probably true. More interesting is their claim at having sold 10800 respectively 9700 planes. Here the 9700 planes might refer to actual confirmed and signed orders, whereas the 10800 figure (which I can't find on the Boeing site) might refer to actual orders and letter of intents and options which are not confirmed but for which the negotiations are largely complete.
    Please visit my website! http://www.schipholspotter.com/

Don't make me use uppercase...

Comment

here is the line i was talking about: "Boeing has delivered more than 7,000 737s, and more than 3,800 Next-Generation 737s through December 31, 2011."

it's in the first paragraph of the page i linked to...

Comment

the A320 'family' they're talking about also includes the A321 which I would've thought it is more closely competing with the 757?

secondly they have only actually delivered 5,100 so Boeing are, if judging by sales, more popular on both accounts.

seems like a bit of puffery, aka marketing spin you can't be sued for because it's 'subjective'

Comment

the same can probably be said then about their reliability rating which they claimed was 99.7%

Comment

There are lies, damn lies ...... And statistics !

Mark Twain ..... and me just now !!!
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
              There are lies, damn lies ...... And statistics !

Mark Twain ..... and me just now !!!
              yes sir! as my university stats prof told us the first day: stats are like a lamppost to a drunk: used for support but never illumination...

Comment

Working...
              X