No announcement yet.

Plane crash in Nigeria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im in the same boat as you then their Transitfan as i happen to have flown on the Helios 733 that crashed in Greece only 6 months prior to the accident and to my knowledge thats the only one ive flown on thats crashed.

As for this accident, I hate to point the finger but in most cases within Africa poor maintenance, poor training and older aircraft are usually the norm so it really wouldnt shock me if this was the case here. As has been said the aircraft was only 21/22 years of age which is not that old but it is of an age where there will be regular checks to carry out. Regardless of the cause it is extremely sad and may all the victims RIP. My thoughts are with their families.

Comment

The Nigerian Aviation Authority revoked the AOC of Dana Air.
      The death toll reached more than 220 victims. It is by far the most deadliest MD-80-crash.

There are plans in Nigeria to ban MD-80-aircraft as a result of the crash.

Regards
      http://www.MD-80.com / MD-80.com on facebook https://www.facebook.com/MD80com / MD-80.com on Twitter: https://twitter.com/MD80com

Comment

Assorted speculations taking as fact that the crew radioed a dual engine problem:

- Fuel exhaustion (unlikely due to the fire)
        - Fuel starvation (feeding from empty tanks when other tanks still had fuel)
        - A problem with the fuel itself (unlikely, but remember the BA 777 at Heathrow)
        - Multiple birds strikes
        - Uncontained failure of one engine with the shrapnel affecting the other engine
        - Single engine failure + wrong engine shut-down
        - Not directly an engine problem. For example a stall not properly dealt with which disrupted the air flow into the engines (like the Pinnacle CRJ or the West-Caribbean MD-80)

EDIT 1: Added
        - Poor maintainence with the same error repeated in both engines (unlikelly that far into the flight and so close together)
        - Flame out due to extreme hail or water ingestion (unlikely given the weather conditions)
        - Two fully independent engine failures (extremely unlikely, would be an all-times first in commercial jets)
        Last edited by Gabriel; 2012-06-08, 17:03. Reason: More speculations added

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
          Assorted speculations taking as fact that the crew radioed a dual engine problem:....................................

Add poor maintenance - remember the L1011 where all three engines shut down because o-rings were not replaced in the engine. This and other examples here:

Comment

- Uncontained failure of one engine with the shrapnel affecting the other engine
            Really? Contagious engine failure on an MD-80?

Comment

Originally posted by Highkeas View Post
              Add poor maintenance - remember the L1011 where all three engines shut down because o-rings were not replaced in the engine. This and other examples here:
              http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aer...ly/m02txt.html
              Point taken.

Not very likely though. I'd expect problems to develop earlier during the flight and the failures not happening at the same time or very close together.

Yet, whatever killed this plane it had to be an unlikely thing.

Extreme hail or water ingestion would be another possible (not probable) cause.

And as we are with the unlikely thing, let's not discard two fully independent engine failures. It would be an all-times first.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

A man known as David Chukwunonso Allison has filed a 56-page lawsuit against Boeing, McDonnell Douglas, Pratt & Whitney and United Technologies. Apparently the MD-80 was unsafe all along. And this after decades of reliable service. It was only a matter of time before both engines would fail due to it being poorly designed. Who knew.

Also targeted in the suit is the estate of the deceased pilot. David Chukwunonso Allison sounds like a classy guy.

A man whose wife died in the Lagos, Nigeria, plane crash Sunday has filed a lawsuit naming, among others, the estate of the pilot.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                  Why not? Believe me the fuselage will not do much to stop it.

Comment

A man known as David Chukwunonso Allison has filed a 56-page lawsuit against Boeing, McDonnell Douglas, Pratt & Whitney and United Technologies. Apparently the MD-80 was unsafe all along. And this after decades of reliable service. It was only a matter of time before both engines would fail due to it being poorly designed. Who knew.

Also targeted in the suit is the estate of the deceased pilot. David Chukwunonso Allison sounds like a classy guy.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/06/07/wo...html?hpt=hp_t3
                    Let me guess.
                    - The suit is just for liability, not crimininal.
                    - He didn't target the Airline or the Nigerian regulator. What could him get from them anyway?

Comment

Off course not. Really no way that one engine could take out the other on a Mad Dog.

Latest rumours are about bird remains found in one engine.
                      “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Comment

Originally posted by ErwinS View Post
                        Off course not. Really no way that one engine could take out the other on a Mad Dog.
                        Ok guys. You and Evan know something that I don't. Please share.

Comment

Well look only at the general layout of the engines on a MD-80 srs. If you have an uncontained engine failure how would that reach the other engine with the fuselage in between? Surely the fan or compressor blades wouldn't go through the fuselage and enter the other engine.

Diese Website steht zum Verkauf! luxury777sinar.com ist die beste Quelle für alle Informationen die Sie suchen. Von allgemeinen Themen bis hin zu speziellen Sachverhalten, finden Sie auf luxury777sinar.com alles. Wir hoffen, dass Sie hier das Gesuchte finden!

Uncontained engien failure on a MD. True shrapnhel entered the cabin but not the other engine.
                          “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Comment

I suppose it's possible... you were pointing out a list of possibilities. It would be a very freak thing. I'm betting on birds though. Shitting down the wrong engine wouldn't exactly surprise me either.

Comment

I suppose it's possible... you were pointing out a list of possibilities. It would be a very freak thing.
                              I don't see why it would be freak at all, really.
                              I'm seriusly asking, why would it be so unexpected?
                              Do you seriusly think that a few sheets of thin aluminium would stop a titanium compressor disk projected at about the speed of sound?

An uncontained engine failure is not a frequent thing but, given an uncontained engine failure, a "contagious" (I liked the word) second engine falilure wouldn't surprise me either.

Comment

With foreign object ingestion (birds, hail, what-have-you) one important factor is in how the compressor stalls are handled. If the engines are not throttled down sufficiently, the engines can suffer destructive effects beyond the deformation of fan blades. This had led to two DC-9/MD-80 dual engine failure crashes that I can think of...

I wonder if we have a third case on our hands?

Comment

Working...
                                X