fuel leak???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel leak???

getting out of my car a little while ago about 2 miles east of MIA i looked up at an AA plane that had just taken off. behind the port wing ONLY was a trail of mist/vapor. it was constant and lasted for as long as i could make it out before the plane got too far away. the plane was flying straight ahead but obviously climbing.

although i clearly did not have the best view, it appeared to be coming from the top of the wing.

could this have been fuel? i thought the fuel fillers were on the bottom of the wings...

I think that you saw condensation.

Bye
    http://www.MD-80.com / MD-80.com on facebook https://www.facebook.com/MD80com / MD-80.com on Twitter: https://twitter.com/MD80com

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
      could this have been fuel? i thought the fuel fillers were on the bottom of the wings...
      It could. Airplane type?
      My brother and father saw something coming from a cap atop of a wing when flying in a 737. They notified the FA, the FO came to see and confirmed it was fuel.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

i doubt it was condensation at such low speed and altitude. and from only one wing?

Comment

i doubt it was condensation at such low speed and altitude. and from only one wing?
          Do an image search for 'vapor trail' or 'vortex' and you will see a lot of landing gear involved.

I think you saw condensation.

Pulling lots of vapor as it ascends into the stormy Los Angeles sky.. N366DH. Airbus A300B4-203(F). JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Leaving an excellent vapor trail on Final for KSLC from KLAS on an overcast Utah afternoon....... N371SW. Boeing 737-3H4. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

This is a fuel trail:
          (At low altitude I think fuel disperses and evaporates very quickly)
          Leaving a trail of fuel vapor after take-off from rwy 27L. I have never seen something like this before!. G-VIIS. Boeing 777-236(ER). JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Excess fuel or fuel leak ??. N39728. Boeing 737-724. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

I thought that it was a fuel leak. But a F/O flying the Fokker series told me that if the fuel tanks are really full, and the plane moves about the fuel will move about aswell. Then the fuel will vent from the nozzles to prevent the fuel wingtanks from bursting.. PH-KLI. Fokker 100. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

If the fuel tanks are overfilled, one or more fuel vents will do this for a spell.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
            Do an image search for 'vapor trail' or 'vortex' and you will see a lot of landing gear involved.

I think you saw condensation.

Pulling lots of vapor as it ascends into the stormy Los Angeles sky.. N366DH. Airbus A300B4-203(F). JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Leaving an excellent vapor trail on Final for KSLC from KLAS on an overcast Utah afternoon....... N371SW. Boeing 737-3H4. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

This is a fuel trail:
            (At low altitude I think fuel disperses and evaporates very quickly)
            Leaving a trail of fuel vapor after take-off from rwy 27L. I have never seen something like this before!. G-VIIS. Boeing 777-236(ER). JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Excess fuel or fuel leak ??. N39728. Boeing 737-724. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

I thought that it was a fuel leak. But a F/O flying the Fokker series told me that if the fuel tanks are really full, and the plane moves about the fuel will move about aswell. Then the fuel will vent from the nozzles to prevent the fuel wingtanks from bursting.. PH-KLI. Fokker 100. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

If the fuel tanks are overfilled, one or more fuel vents will do this for a spell.
            thanks Evan. it looked exactly like the second fuel trail--the continental 73

Comment

It was like this one????
              Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.
              My pictures: https://www.jetphotos.com/photographer/46959

Comment

thanks Evan. it looked exactly like the second fuel trail--the continental 73
                Yeah, it's not actually a fuel leak, it's a pressure relief feature, actually a safety measure for when the tanks are full and the temp is high. There are two on the 737NG near each wingtip.

4. FUEL VENT SYSTEM
                ¡ The purpose of the fuel vent system is to prevent damage to the wings due to excessive buildup positive or negative pressure inside the fuel tanks and to provide ram air pressure within the The tanks are vented into surge tanks which vent through a single opening at each wing tip.

Comment

There was an incident some years ago with a Phuket Airlines B747 where the fuel tanks were filled in the cold early morning. Later, when the air temperature had risen and as it was taxiing out passengers noticed an alarming amount of fuel leaking from a vent. It looked so bad that a goodly number of pax insisted on deplaning. Given the poor safety record of Phuket Airlines (they were eventually banned from European airports and later went bust) it was possibly a good decision on the passengers part. Ironically though, this was a safety feature that was actually working properly.
                  By the way, slightly off topic but the best time of day to buy petrol for your car is when air temperature is at its lowest. The fuel contracts at low temperature so a gallon bought in the cold is actually more than a gallon as the day warms up.
                  If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                    By the way, slightly off topic but the best time of day to buy petrol for your car is when air temperature is at its lowest. The fuel contracts at low temperature so a gallon bought in the cold is actually more than a gallon as the day warms up.
                    In volume, not in combustible energy. That 'larger' gallon gets you the same distance down the road. Do you really do this?

Comment

In volume, not in combustible energy. That 'larger' gallon gets you the same distance down the road. Do you really do this?
                      I think you may be wrong about this, Evan. At least from what I read after I saw Brian's post, colder contracted gas has more molecules per unit volume, so there is more of it to burn. This makes a difference in the amount of fuel you receive during warm times of year versus cold times of year. What does not matter nearly so much, apparently, is what time of day you fuel up. Because of the way gasoline is stored, the temperature isn't going to change much during the course of the day, or even from the time it is placed inside the storage tank at the station to the time it gets in your car.

The consumer should probably be compensated for the lower amount of gas he receives in warm weather, but is wasting his time by trying to get colder gas at a colder time of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by IberiaMD-87 View Post
                        I think that you saw condensation.

Bye
                        I agree - I've watched this happen on a variety of aircraft taking off on a given day over a short period of time. I think it is related to the relative humidity of the air.

Comment

Originally posted by Fear_of_Flying View Post
                          ................ Because of the way gasoline is stored, the temperature isn't going to change much during the course of the day, or even from the time it is placed inside the storage tank at the station to the time it gets in your car...............
                          I agree.

Comment

The engine burns pounds and the fuel is sold in gallons. The more pounds per gallons you get the farther you'll run for each dollar.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                            --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

An Imperial Gallon / 4.546 litres (bigger than a US gallon 3.785 litres) is defined thus...

The imperial gallon was based on the volume of 10 pounds of distilled water weighed in air with brass weights with the barometer standing at 30 inches of mercury and at a temperature of 62 °F.

Liquids contract at temperatures lower than 60degF and expand at temperatures higher than 60degF....

So, if you buy a gallon of petrol at a higher temperature and/or a higher barometric pressure....you 'aint getting a gallon !

In my car I get a better fuel mileage by about 2 mpg in cold weather than I get in hot weather.
                              Last edited by brianw999; 2012-03-31, 17:07.
                              If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Working...
                              X