LOT Polish Airlines flight LO 016 EWR-WAW Emergency Landing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post

That landing must rank close up to the level of expertise similar to "Sully" landing on the Hudson.
    But none of the improvisation. Sully had very little time to think. This was a well-prepped, textbook emergency landing.

I wonder if she will fly again...

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
      ............................I wonder if she will fly again...
      My guess is yes - I've seen some severely damaged aircraft returned to flight. (exceptions are old aircraft not worth the repair investment)

Comment

When I saw the BBC video, All i could say is amazing. That was the smoothest landing I have seen in such a terrifying circumstance. Great job by the pilots.

Comment

G'day Evan,

Centre Hyd System is a very interesting one when it comes to ETOPS. There is no definitive statement as to if it constitues an ETOPS failure or not.. It is somewhat dependant on circumstances.

I do wonder why the alternate gear extension hasn't worked at all - that will be very interesting to see.

And SAMR - coating the runway is not necessarily encouraged these days. The benefits are considered negligible compared to the time required to refill the tankers afterwards.

Thereis no doubt that this crew has done an excellent job pulling off a smooth landing without the gear.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
            That landing must rank close up to the level of expertise similar to "Sully" landing on the Hudson.
            Oh Gabriel...

How does it go? "While there is no question that the pilots are highly skilled, the procedures are straight forward and something that any decent pilot should be able to do without significant issues"...

...except for the interpretation of nose-high attitudes and stall warnings...
            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by MCM View Post
              I do wonder why the alternate gear extension hasn't worked at all - that will be very interesting to see.
              I don't know the 767 system interactions very well, but I do notice that the tailskid is deployed, and I believe that also runs on the center hydraulic system. I believe it also indicates that the gear is selected down. Also, if the electrical uplock/unlocks were working, gravity should have been the only thing needed to drop the doors and the gear. This makes me think that the problem might have been electrical. There is mention of a center system hydraulic failure, but not the nature of the failure. I assume that the flaps and slat deployment indicates that this part of the center system was still working, is that right? It seems like an uplock problem to me. Is there any maintenance procedure that would temporarily disconnect the alternate gear circuits, that may have been left that way?

EDIT: Oh, right, they could have used alternate flaps, but what about the tail skid?

Comment

AMAZING job by the pilots, very skilled landing and fortunately no one was hurt. These shots taken by the spotters are simply mindblowing, but it breaks my heart to see all those sparkles coming out of the 767 :/
                I hope she don't get written off
                My pictures: https://www.jetphotos.com/photographer/46959

Comment

Originally posted by Leo 747 View Post
                  AMAZING job by the pilots, very skilled landing...
                  Where art thou Gabriel?
                  Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                    Where art thou Gabriel?
                    ????
                    My pictures: https://www.jetphotos.com/photographer/46959

Comment

Captain Tadeusz Wrona

...and in his younger days (first from the left):

Comment

Originally posted by MCM View Post
                        Centre Hyd System is a very interesting one when it comes to ETOPS. There is no definitive statement as to if it constitues an ETOPS failure or not.. It is somewhat dependant on circumstances.
                        It's rather surprising that Boeing made the system so different from that on the 737. No doubt there were good reasons for this.

The tail skid, flaps and slats do appear to be extended. Even though these are usually operated by the centre system.

Even if they'd ended up in the same situation as the "Gimli Glider" with the nose gear unlocked that would have caused less damage to the aircraft and runway.

Comment

Depending on the nature of the failure too. If the early reports are to be trusted, they received a low fluid level warning.

There is very little damage to the runway surface. Only center line lights need to be replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by mpe View Post
                            Even if they'd ended up in the same situation as the "Gimli Glider" with the nose gear unlocked that would have caused less damage to the aircraft and runway.
                            Yes, but if one of the main legs was not locked, and gave way, it would have gone very ugly very quickly.
                            Yet another AD.com convert!

Comment

Out of curiosity, how much warning did the media and the spotters in Warsaw have? Seems like there was a lot of coverage for something that didn't seem like it would have a lot of warning. I heard it spent an hour wasting fuel but that whatever system failure it was happened just 30 minutes out of Newark. How much warning was there?

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                                Where art thou Gabriel?
                                The pilot did a nice smooth landing, as probably many other times. That the gear was up was beyond the pilot's powers (I guess and hope).

A gear-up landing doesn't require any particular flying skill that a gear-down-and locked landing doesn't.

All in all, the crew did their job in a stressful situation, and they did it very well. As expected.

Happy now?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                                --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Working...
                                X