Price for a Photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price for a Photo

I received an e-mail through the site asking to purchase one of my photos. It's an older picture, but it's one of the few in the database of said aircraft.

This only the third time I've had someone ask to purchase a picture (first two never responded to my offer) so I'm pretty well clueless about what to even suggest as a price.

[photoid=534347]

I'd like to finally be able to sell a photo, so I don't want to ask so much that they say to buzz off.

If anyone would like details on who is asking to purchase, just PM me.

Thanks,

Eric

Hard to say without more information...how do they want to use the photo? A small image on their web site vs. a large print in their lobby vs. an advertisement in a publication should all be priced differently.

If they want to use a low resolution copy on their web site, I'd probably ask for $50 - $75. For other uses, the price would go up. Whatever their use, include that language when you send them the photo - if they pay you to use it on their web site, and start running it in ads, they need your permission (and probably need to send a few more bucks your way).

In any case, remember do not sign over copyright of the image! All you are giving them is permission to use your photo in the manner you both agreed to.
    KC-135: Passing gas and taking names!

Comment

They weren't real specific. I'll have to ask, but I get the impression they are wanting to use it for their website.

Comment

Price for Photo

Hi Eric

some things to concider:

How important may be the photo for the byer?

How big (rich) is the byer?

Maybee they come with a suggested price if you ask them then this woul make the decision easier.

Greets Haendli

Comment

Well, as usual, never got a reply. Fifth time someone asked, fifth time I never heard back.

I swear, if you're not serious, stop wasting my flipping time.

Comment

I am afraid that the web opens up the world to see your picture on JP. Some organisations and people think that photo might be useful for a website or some such. They contact the photographer, probably half hoping you will hand the photo over for free, when you mention money the other people go quiet and never heard of again.

My guess is they are trying to get the shot for free, a "1% rule attempt". Ask 100 people and 1 will give you it for free try.

Remember your photo is special, they asked for it's use.

One thought I always have is, if a business ask to use your photo ask for a fee. If a squadron, or historical/memorial flight, or charity ask for a photo I normally like to provide those free.
            May the Sun be with you. Resist the darkside.

Comment

Working...
            X